d a y f o u r t e e n

"Not nearly."

"..."

~~

The word "house" was definitely an understatement. The inside of Akashi's house was like a maze. One of those fancy hedge mazes you only find in books. I definitely understood how a gym would be able to fit in here. Reo was in the lead, following not too far behind Akashi. At the end of the hallway they were walking through, I spotted a set of double doors. It was probably the gym.

Proving my hunch not long after, Akashi pushed open the doors. The facility in question was smaller than I thought. Surely, it was smaller than the Rakuzan gymnasium. Even Akashi wouldn't be that rich. It gave off more of a cozy feeling, enough for at least a few people to be able to play.

We could make do, I guessed.

I found out not long later that they wouldn't be practicing in the gym for the majority of the time, but instead, outside. Mostly just running laps around the field. Kazuno and I sat inside, watching the boys through the doors in the gym that led outside.

"Sorry for dragging you here," Kazuno apologized.

"It's fine," I replied, a little strained. In reality, I didn't want to be here at all. Being in Akashi's house set me off somehow. Kazuno and I sat silently for about another half an hour before I pushed myself up. "Your mom isn't home, is she?" I asked Kazuno.

"No, why?"

"I'm going to head back myself. No one's going to know I was home alone. I'm sixteen now, anyway."

"Are you going to be able to find your way back?"

"I'll be fine," I answered as I exited the gym through the double doors. Now, I thought, I remember to keep going forward until the second corridor. I kept following my memory, and went through the twists and turns of the inside of the manor. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, and I made it to the familiar room by the main entrance in no time.

When I exited, I was relieved to see that my bike was still leaning on the gate on the other side. I followed the path to the gate and pushed it open. Kazuno's bike was also still there, so it seems that there would be nothing to worry about. Hopping on my bike, I pedaled off.

The route back to Kazuno's house shouldn't have been too hard to remember. There was an odd looking house that I noticed on the corner, and that was where I should take a left. From there, I would be in familiar territory, and it wouldn't be difficult to find Kazuno's house after. Once I spotted the house, I turned left and after a few more minutes of riding straight ahead, the houses started getting more and more familiar.

Kazuno's house wouldn't be far now.

~+~+~

"It's been a while since you've been here," I said to the person on the other side of the door.

"Nonsense. If you think that was long, then your internal clock must be broken," Akashi answered. "Now, let me in."

I stepped aside to make room for Akashi. "It's seven at night. Should you be here?"

He entered, and I shut the door behind him. "You should know."

I sighed, "Come on."

We made our way to my bedroom upstairs, and I sat down at the desk. Akashi stayed standing. He threw the books onto the table in front of me, and, startled, I jumped. "What-" I turned to look at Akashi, but the look in his eyes made me stop short.

"You found your way back," he said.

"What?"

"You found your way back from my house."

"What?"

"I'm not repeating myself."

"How did you even know?"

"I know everything," he answered, walking closer. Then, forcefully tilted my chin to look up at him. "Though, it isn't all that of a feat, for a peasant like you, however, I didn't think you were capable."

I felt a burning sensation of anger deep in my gut. Just because he was.... better than me didn't mean he could call me peasant. But even in this position, I felt my heart beating so fast, I thought Akashi would be able to feel it even though he was just holding my chin. He let his arm fall, "You're going to use that ability for your studies. No slacking off."

He was as serious as ever. Probably more serious. Damn, I shouldn't have gone without Kazuno-chan, I thought. What made me more anxious, however, was that none of that was a request.

~~