Chapter 23

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

Those were the words that were repeated to Alessa multiple times that evening from her upset boyfriend who seemed incapable of uttering any other words.

She let him apologize while her hand stroked his hair and the tears were soaking her blue blouse. When he calmed down, she made him some hot chocolate. It was also for Dan who was in Nic's room with a tear-stained face as well.

At least he wasn't apologizing.

After a couple of sips and sniffles, his breathing had finally calmed down enough to tell the whole story about what had made Logan break down like he had.

Alessa had expected his mother's abandonment and drug problems.

She hadn't expected his mother's involvement with her kidnapping.

It did explain the apologizing though.

Logan's fists clenched and the muscles in his face were drawn tight when he had told her the story. Immediately afterwards he apologized again. She didn't respond. Instead she stroked his arm a couple of times.

It was meant to comfort him, but also to comfort her. Her mind wasn't capable of processing the fact that Logan's mother had helped kidnap her from her real parents. It wasn't like she blamed him and she knew that Logan wasn't like his parents.

Nic wasn't like his parents either.

Still it came to an absolute shock to her. The only thing that she was capable of was stroking his arm and cuddling into him. They both needed comfort that evening.

Nothing was said about that topic until both of them had woken up the next morning with a headache due to the amount of sleep that they had gotten and in Logan's case the amount of crying that he had done.

"I'm really sorry," he apologized again.

"There is nothing to apologize for. You didn't kidnap me," she said again.

"My mother did. She...," his voice broke as tears appeared in his eyes. "She took you from you. She is my mother. How could she?"

Alessa sighed before curling up closer to him. "Parents can be horrible sometimes and we don't always know what their motives are. She meant well. I'm sure that she did."

Logan snorted. "She kidnapped you."

"I know but there is nothing much I can do about that now. Besides I would have been taken with or without your mother," she said. It was true too. Logan's mother hadn't wanted to kidnap her. That was all her abductors' doing.

Nobody else could be blamed for that except for them.

"I wish that all of this didn't have to happen," he muttered.

Alessa nodded, because well it would have great if it hadn't. "But on the plus side I might not have ever met you if your mother didn't do what she had to do."

"Right, you would have never had to meet your abductor's son."

Her hand grabbed Logan by the chin to make him look at her. "I did meet him and he is someone who I love dearly." Her eyes watched him carefully in the hope that her message managed to passage through his thick skull.

His eyes softened. "I love you too."

"I know you do."

Kissing followed after their admissions of love but their session was interrupted by clattering in the kitchen reminding them of the fact that they still had two younger brothers who could use all of the help that they could get.