Chapter 12

Even though his dad had called that he was still not coming home, since that case still wasn't solved and seemed to be getting more difficult each passing day, he couldn't bring himself to get mad at his dad.

At least his dad hadn't kidnapped him.

The thought made him sick. The thought of Alessa's parents made him want to go find them and have a firm talk to them. He was still tempted to go through her stuff to just find their information, but that would break her trust and he couldn't do that.

Not when she had just given him so much trust.

The whole situation sucked overall, but on the other side it did please him that Alessa trusted him enough to share this information.

Nobody other than Dan had trusted him with personal secrets like that.

There was a bright side to the situation. Something that Alessa had told him multiple times. There was always a bright side to the dark clouds or some shit like that, but he could acknowledge that there was some truth in her words.

It also meant that Alessa was not related to those horrible people. Fucking assholes. He couldn't believe that anyone could harm Alessa or Nic like that.

His dad would never harm either of them, no matter the lies that spouted from that man's mouth. It was never done to hurt them. On purpose.

"So dad's still not coming home," Dan whined as they ate dinner together.

Logan nodded in response. "But he says that he'll get here as soon as the case finishes."

"He always says that." Their dad did always say that and usually he would have shut up at this point, but his dad didn't deserve this critique especially after hearing how some parents could be.

"He is paying for your school through those cases."

Dan glared at him. "I'm aware, but dad could also do a normal job instead of this PI crap and then he could pay for my school while also seeing me going to school. For fuck's sake, he doesn't even know that you have a girlfriend."

Logan frowned. "Look our dad might not be there, but he is doing his best."

Dan snorted. "Why are you defending him? He missed your birthday for the third year in a row. To me that sound like he is doing a shit job."

"There are worse parents."

Dan opened his mouth before he closed it again. A thoughtful expression crossed his face. "You met some crap parents lately or something."

"No."

Dan snorted again. "I know that there are crappier parents than dad out there but he is a horrible parent against normal standards and you know that as well."

Logan sighed. Although his mind was still arguing with Dan, he realized that the argument would get him nowhere. Dan was too stubborn in his ways to see just how lucky they were.

Dan had a smirk on his face at his silence.

It nearly made him want to start the argument again but he decided against. His relationship with his brother had been less rocky recently and he wasn't about to ruin it.

The rest of the dinner passed without any more discussion about dad. Instead Logan was forced to endure all the stories Dan had about school. It would have been nicer if Alessa had been there. At least she found those kind of things interesting.

His phone rang when they were almost done with dinner.

Dan managed to snatch it first with a big smirk on his face. "Let's see who this is." Logan tried to grab the phone from his brother, but his little brother was slightly taller than him making it impossible to snatch the phone out of his hands.