Our son

"I'm sorry Regina.. but the possibility of you ever having children is very very slim.." Dr. Thompson told her and her head hung down as she tried to digest the information. "There are some things we can try of course. There are a series of shots that we can give you to increase the chances, and we could try artificial insemination. Or, we could try the process of in vitro fertilization." He said and she wrinkled her face in confusion "what exactly is that?" She asked.

He leaned back in his chair and rubbed his chin. "Over the course of a month you would be taking fertility medication to control the 'ripening' of the eggs in your ovaries along with frequent exams to make sure we catch an egg or a few at the correct stage. From there we would go in an extract those eggs and gather the sperm from whatever donor you choose and in our laboratory we would create the perfect environment to place the sperm and egg together. They're placed into incubators and examined carefully at intervals to ensure that fertilization and cell division have taken place. After that's done it takes between 2-5 days to place the embryo into the uterus." He explained

Regina sighed and rubbed her forehead "alright.. let's do that option.." she said quietly.
________________________________

Emma slowly took a step toward her and held her hand out for Regina who slowly walked around the counter taking her hand.

"Regina... this is Henry... my son."

Regina's head snapped toward Emma at the statement "your son..?" She asked confused and looked back at the little boy. He eyed them both curiously and cautiously. "Yes.. this is Henry." She said squeezing her hand. Regina swallowed hard and feels her heart ache in her chest. This little boy was the cutest thing, he had Emma's eyes and her nose, adorable freckles and dark brown hair just like hers. "Emma... he's adorable." She breathed.

But soon her awe turned to that of confusion, why was he here? She turned to Emma with a raised brow. Emma, seeing the look laced their fingers "Henry.. do you like cartoons?" She asked him and he nodded slowly, "I like Scooby-Doo." He said and Emma smiled at him, "me too.. why don't we go turn something on for you so I can talk to Gina for a moment?" She asked and he nodded "okay." He said before sliding off the chair. Emma kissed her cheek before taking the little ones hand and leading him to the couch. She flipped on the tv and found Scooby-Doo for him. "Okay, I'll be back in just a minute.. want some juice?" She asked and he nodded "pwease?" He asked politely and her heart melted. "You got it." She ruffled his hair before walking back to the kitchen.

While Emma was gone Regina had moved over to the counter to look at the paperwork that was there, her head was spinning and her chest clenched. Images of her doctor telling her she couldn't conceive coming to mind, the procedure, and the baby she lost. She closed her eyes holding back tears.

The brunette was startled out of her memories by strong arms wrapping around her midsection.

"Are you okay Gina?" Emma whispered into her ear and Regina's body slowly relaxed. She shook her head looking down at all the paperwork "you got your son back.." she breathed and slowly turned in her arms. Emma looked down into obviously hurting brown eyes and she kissed her forehead.

" After I tried to get Henry back, and I found out he had a new family, I had it notarized in his papers that if anything were to happen to the family that he was with that I wanted him back." She started not letting her go. "His parents died in car accident... and I have a chance to have my son..." she said quietly and Regina rest her hands against her stomach absentmindedly. "That's fantastic Emma." She said with watery eyes.

Emma though could see there was something wrong. "If that's the case why do you look like a kicked puppy?" She asked and Regina looked down feeling her eyes well with tears. "I am happy my gorgeous darling." She whispered and looked up into her eyes and her bottom lip wobbled a bit. "Emma.. I can't have children." She whispered and Emma's face fell. "I tried..a few years back I tried and I lost my baby. I spent months at the doctor getting ready, doing procedures to try anything to have a child but I... I can't. It's not meant to be."