Closing In

Leaves rustle in the soft afternoon breeze as the sun pelts relentlessly against her back. Sarah's body trembles as she continues to sob. "Please, don't take Mia too, oh please don't take her too."

The goon shoves the gun against her head. "I wouldn't worry about her." He grabs her freshly died hair and jerks her to her feet.

"Walk." He shoves her towards the shed. Stumbling over a pile of rocks, Sarah tumbles to the ground.

"Please, don't hurt me, please," she begs.

"Get up." He pulls her hair again. She's trying to get to her feet when she hears a metallic click. Sarah turns to find Mia behind him, gun in hand.

"Drop your weapon." Mia shoves the gun into the intruder's back.

"When you shoot me, my reflexes will pull the trigger." He glances towards Sarah. "And I'm sure you don't want to see your friend die." He smirks.

Mia glares at Sarah. "You'll be doing me a favor by killing this whine bag."

"Mia, no, you don't mean that," Sarah tearfully replies.

"Don't I? Why else do you think I would take you to this godforsaken place?"

"Please don't kill me, Mia, please, we still have lots of work to do."

"Shut up or I'll shoot you right now." She winks at the frightened woman.

Sarah nods. "Alright. I... I'll do whatever you say." Sarah sniffles as she wipes the tears from her face.

Mia pushes the gun deeper into the intruder's skin. "Either drop your weapon or you both die right here, right now."

"Ok, ok." he opens his hand, the gun falls to the ground.

Sarah scoops it up as she springs to her feet.

Not wanting any part of the shootout, the invader attempts to flee.

"I don't think so." Sarah cocks the gun. "Who sent you here?"

"Don't... Don't you think you should be more worried about what she's going to do than about me?"

"Mia won't shoot me, right, Mia?"

"Not today."

Sarah gives her an odd look, Mia smiles. "So, answer my question." Sarah shoves the gun against his forehead.

"No... No one, I swear."

"No one?"

"Brad and I came to collect on Katelyn's debt on our own." He winces from the pain.

"How did you know we're here, huh, tell me, how?" Sarah screams.

"We followed you from the city. I was about to give up when Brad spotted your car. This was all his idea, honest. I wanted to give up, but he wouldn't let it go," he cries.

"Where is your partner now?" Sarah questions.

"I... I don't know." He nervously glances around, hoping Brad would come to his rescue.

"He's dead." Mia smiles.

"Brad is dead?" the man gasps.

"Yeah, and your next, right Sarah?" Sarah quickly sizes up the half-pint of a man.

"I have a better idea."

***

Larry sees the captain at his desk when he walks up to the door. Knocking, he walks in. "I have some news on our case, sir."