Mistaken Identity

Mia's heart pounds rapidly in her chest, her entire body trembles as she searches for a way to escape. Her teacher's voice echoes in her head.

"You're going to end up in jail just like the other orphaned kids. It was true, many kids turned to a life of crime. Being kicked out once they reached legal age with no money, or means of support, they did what they had to in order to survive. Mia promised herself she wouldn't turn out like them and she hadn't until now. I'll make something of myself, I will. She often reassured herself.

The officers continue across the store behind her. They have to have an exit they just have to. She discovers the red neon sign in the corner. I need to stay calm, walk like I normally do so I won't draw attention to myself. She takes a big breath and then heads towards the door.

Paranoia overtaking her, Mia spins around. She quickly discovers the cop chatting with a cashier. They haven't spotted me yet. She turns towards the back door. I am seconds away from freedom. Her insides quiver as she reaches for the metal bar.

"What do you think you're doing?" the employee asks. Startled, Mia jumps back. "You're not stepping foot out that door with them." She points to the clothes in her hands.

"Isn't this the dressing room?"

"The sign is clearly marked as an exit," the employee huffs. With over twenty-five years in retail, she's heard every lame excuse imaginable.

Mia sees the cop chatting away when she glances towards the front. I'm still in the clear. She starts to turn around when she sees them pointing towards the back. She glances towards the door again. I could be long gone before they get back here. Shoving the clothes in the employee's hands, she bolts through the door. She glances back to find the officer behind her.

***

The late afternoon sun is creeping across the sky. The detectives have spent the day talking to Jovani's lovers. They discovered their answers are all the same. They didn't know much about his personal life, but he was marvelous in bed.

"I bet the working women can tell us more." Larry glances over at his partner.

"You think Jovani is into prostitutes?" George questions.

"With his sexual appetite, I bet he's done each one at least twice."

Pulling up to 10th and 42nd street Larry gets out of their car. Being familiar with the blighted area, his partner reluctantly follows suit. They're soon met by two young women dressed in sexy attire.

"What's your pleasure, honey?" The younger, more attractive female asks.

"We want to ask you ladies about this guy." Larry holds up a picture of the deceased.

"That's Jovani. He's a good boy toy, great eye candy, but I wouldn't want him around all the time."

"Why?" Larry asks as he pulls a notebook from his pocket.

"He has some bad habits if you know what I mean." she holds her finger against her nose. "You name it, he's done it. It's scary to watch him sometimes." Her friend nods in agreement.

"Do you know anyone who'd want to kill him?"

"I can name at least a dozen."

"He'd probably been dead years ago if you guys didn't ship him off so much." The second lady adds.

George turns to find a second lady dressed as provocatively as the first. Unlike the first, her face is caked with makeup. He then sees an Adams apple bobbing in her throat. That explains a lot. "What can you tell me about her?" He shows them a picture.