Joining Forces

The sun is slowly setting, casting a narrow ray of light on the girl in the doorway. Her hair is a tangled mess. Her thin, sullen face is caked with layers of dirt. Her clothing is filthy and torn. There is a small brownish area just below the muck that appears to be dried blood.

Jimmy hears a loud Kerplunk, he turns to find Sarah on the floor. He dashes to her side. "Sarah, Sarah, wake up, honey, wake up." Carefully lifting her head off the cement, he places it in his lap. "Sarah honey, wake up," he repeats as he gently pats her face.

"What... What happened?" she asks, as she groggily glances around.

"You fainted honey." 

"I'm afraid it's all because of me." Mia steps up beside her.

Seeing Katelyn's look-alike, Sarah springs off the floor. "Who are you and what do you want."

"My name is Mia. I'm Katelyn's friend. Whoever killed your daughter is coming after me too."

Sarah recalls what had happened earlier that day. How she watched the terrified girl dart down the street. "Was that who you were running from?"

"Yes. They seem to be everywhere, and I don't know what to do." Lifting her hands to her face, Mia sobs.

Sarah turns towards Jimmy. "How long will it take to get the paint job done?"

"At least a couple of days, and then another to dry."

"I don't have that long." She grabs the frightened girl's hand. "I mean we don't have that long. We have to get out of the city tonight."

"Seeing that you ladies are in such dire need of a vehicle, I'll tell you what I'm willing to do." Lou straightens his shirt. It's something he always does before he makes a deal. "See that car in the back of the lot?"

Sarah glances over to where he's pointing. "What about it?"

"She's a real beauty, isn't she?"

"If you say so." Sarah halfheartedly agrees. The vehicle looks nice, but it really wasn't her style.

"I'll trade her straight across for your car."

Sarah glances at the young woman as she tries to figure out what she should do.

"I'm losing a lot of money here, but since you're Jimmy's relative I'm willing to take the loss."

"It would be a lot safer I suppose."

"She's in tip-top condition, I checked it myself."

"What do you think, Mia?"

"I don't see that we have much of a choice."

"So, do you want to trade or not?" 

Sarah recalls how she and Jimmy was shot at just a short while ago. She then remembers how she ran for her life. I can't wait three days, not after what happened today. Sarah tearfully thinks.  

"Well is it a deal or isn't it?" Lou impatiently asks."

Sarah glances outside, then towards the frightened young woman beside her. "It's a deal"

***

George is standing in front of his boss's desk trying to explain his theory. The captain reclines in his brown leather chair as he  listens intently to his speculation. Working with him for numerous years, he knows that his sergeant's hunches are usually right.

"That's why I think something is going on, Captain," George finishes

"I can understand why you'd come to that conclusion. I'll see if I can get the body exhumed."