On the Move

Mia and Sara are stuck in gridlock on the George Washington Bridge. Each nervously waiting for the traffic to move. A dark, stormy sky only adds to their tension. They both agreed that they needed to go someplace quiet to plan their strategy.

Sarah discovers a police copter hovering over the lake when she glances to her right. She then notices the police barricade at the end of the bridge. She discovers a second one behind them. She turns around to find two officers searching the first car. The vehicle is released, the officers' step up to the next one in line. "We have to get out of here." 

"Why, what's going on?" Mia glances up from her phone. She's been searching for the latest news on her three murders to see if she was still in the clear.

"Look." Sarah points to the helicopter and then the barricade at the end of the bridge.

"I told you we shouldn't go to Jersey."

"What did you expect us to do? Stay in the city and get killed?"

"No, but..."

"There's no time for squabbling, we need to figure a way out of here, and we need to do it fast."

They watch as the officers check the next car.

"What are we going to do?" Mia asks as tears form in her eyes.

"I have no idea."

***

The station is usually chaotic, but for some strange reason, it's unusually quiet tonight. George prefers it this way. He can get a lot more done when there's not a lot of distraction. Since the new case is at a standstill, he decided to use the time to catch up on his paperwork.

Seeing his Detectives at their desks the Captain walks over to them. "We exhumed what we believe to be Katelyn's body." The Captain begins.

"And?" George asks, hoping for some good news on the case.

"The fingerprints, DNA and dental records confirm it's Katelyn Johnson."

"Then who is the mystery woman at the cemetery?" Larry asks.

"I can answer your question, sir," Jeff says as he steps up beside them.

The captain turns towards him. "Did you find something, son?"

"I was looking through Katelyn's Facebook page and found her in the contacts." He hands the Captain his tablet and then continues. "Her name is Mia Jordon. She goes to college at Berkley and rents an apartment on Amsterdam. Here's the address."

George grabs it from his hand. "That's a pretty ritzy area for a student."

"Maybe her parents pay for it?"

"According to the conversation between her and Katelyn, she was put up for adoption at birth. Mia claims the Johnsons are her parents and Katelyn is her twin."

"Let me see that." The captain takes the tablet and begins to read. He glances over at his detective, a curious expression on his face. "I thought you said her twin died at birth, Larry?"

"That's what the records show, sir."

"Mia tries to run a scam on the Johnsons, it doesn't work, so she kills Katelyn and her father," George concludes.

"Her scams are how she can afford such a fancy place." Jeff adds.

Larry glances at his notes. "Maybe so, but the bullets from Katelyn's drive-by doesn't match the gun Mia used at the cemetery."

"She could've used a different weapon," George pipes in.

The Captain runs his fingers through his thinning hair as he mulls their theory over. "If she is responsible for the drive-by why would she shoot the others?"