Chapter 4: Hell's Bells

Chapter 4

3 MONTHS AGO

A silver Ford Fusion sped through the streets of South Glens Falls, dodging the infected left and right. At the wheel, Nick was struggling to keep the car from flipping as he swerved around what used to be the inhabitants of his hometown. Sweat poured from his forehead. He wasn't sure if this was even possible, but he had to try. In the passenger seat, Richard was peeking his head out the window. A pistol was in his right hand and he held himself steady with his right. He looked scared, but at the same time determined. He never imagined that something like this could happen. Was it even real? The day before, the government declared a state of emergency. And now it was a full fledged apocalypse. Nick had the right idea, getting everyone together in the motel. And it was also a good idea to split up and raid the local stores for supplies. But nobody had dreamed that the disease would have spread through the town this fast. In the local Wal-Mart, which was Nick and Richard's location for scavenging, bodies lay everywhere. Spread through the aisles as if people just died while shopping for eggs and milk. It was unbelievable. But now they were on the run from a herd, and the biters, as Nick had started calling them, were everywhere.

"There's no way we're gonna make it. Pull into that gas station!" Richard said as he nailed a biter in the head with a bullet, an impressive shot for being in a moving car. Nick wordlessly nodded and did as richard said, pulling up as close as he could get to the front door, which was propped open, and hopping out, grabbing his pistol as he did. The two rushed inside, slamming and locking the door behind them.

"We may not be alone in here" Nick said, as he surveyed the store. It had been cleared out already, as was expected, and a body lay on the counter with it's head blasted off by a remington shotgun, which was on the floor next to the counter. As Nick and Richard surveyed the store, they started to hear the moans and scratches of the walkers outside. The store was quickly becoming surrounded, and Richard could tell. Once they knew it was safe, Nick and Richard let themselves into a back office and sat down in two chairs, which were rather uncomfortable. Nick could see the fear in his friend's eyes. As they both took a breath and tried to ignore the sounds from outside.

"That door won't hold forever, Nick" Richard said.

"Hey, don't worry about that now. We'll get out of this. We already made it through the hard part. Everyone is waiting for us back at the motel. We will do it for them" Nick replied, only half believing what he said. He thought of Kelsey, who he knew was worried sick right now due to their tardiness.

With a deep sigh, Richard looked his best friend in the eyes.

"Nick.." He said, his voice cracking a little. "I don't want to die" he finished.

Nick reached out and put his hands on Richard's shoulders.

"Hey. Look at me. I'm not going to let you die. Ya hear me? You're not dying anytime soon. None of us are. You will make it through this, man. I promise you. I WILL NOT let you die." Nick said. Richard nodded, having full faith in Nick to keep him safe.

"Alright... I trust you." Richard said.

"Good. Now let's get out of here and go home." Nick said. With a new determination, the two men stood up, walked to the front door, and prepared to face the threat outside.

PRESENT DAY

Nick, Kelsey, Alec, Ashby, Noah, Brian, Max, and Zac all stood in a circle around the freshly dug grave which held the remains of their friend. A wooden board was placed in the ground at the head of the grave, with Richard's name carved into it. As everyone stood, Nick stepped forward, standing next to the headstone and clearing his throat, his eyes tearing up a little. With a deep sigh, Nick started talking.

The Fight to Surviveजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें