Chapter 22: The Choices Have Been Made

The girls arrived home from Florida, heartbroken.  All except for Lauren, that is.  The car ride home was almost silent because none of the girls wanted to talk about what had happened.  When they arrived home, however, the girls had found something waiting for them.

            When Kaitlin arrived home, she looked through the mail and gasped.  Her Florida State envelope had arrived.  Tara’s had too.  ‘Oovoo now.’ Kaitlin texted in the group message.  The girls all got on Oovoo.

            “Did your’s come?!” Kaitlin screamed.

            “Yes! Yes! Yes!” Tara said.

            “Did what come?” Lauren asked confused.

            “THE FLORIDA STATE LETTER!” Kaitlin and Tara both said at once.

            “Oh, yea! That!” Lauren covered, trying to conceal the fact that she had already opened it.

            “On the count of three, we all open it.” Tara said.

            “Ok, 1…2…3!” Kaitlin screamed.  All at once the girls ripped open their envelopes and a few seconds later, they all screamed. 

            “Florida State here we come?” Lauren asked.

            “FLORIDA STATE HERE WE COME!” The girls replied.

~                      ~                      ~

            “Dude, how do you think Logan’s doing out in California?” Mason asked John as they were in Mason’s backyard.

            “I don’t know.  But, I kinda miss him.” John said with a chuckle.

            “Yea, same,” Mason said, “Ok enough of that.  You got your letter right?”

            “I did.” John said proudly.

            “And….?”

            “University of Florida class of 2017.”

            “Yes! Dude do you think we can be roommates?” Mason asked excitedly.

~                      ~                      ~

            “So, Logan, what do you think of Stanford?” Logan’s mom asked, putting her arm around his shoulder.  Logan and his parents were touring Stanford for the first time.

            “It’s amazing.” Logan started, “But Mom, it’s really far from my friends.”

            “I know it’ll be hard to leave your friends honey, but that’s part of the college experience. Making new friends!”

            “But I don’t know if I’m ready to make new friends.  Mason and John have been there for me my entire life and I can’t help but think about what’ll happen when they’re together at University of Florida and I’m 3000 miles away.” Being all the way in California, made Logan realize that he wasn’t ready to leave Florida for good.  Plus, there was something else that was making this decision hard.  Whether or not Tara had gotten accepted into Florida State.

            “Well, son, all in all it’s your decision in the end and we will stand by you no matter what you choose.” Logan’s dad said, patting him on the back.

            “Ok, well, as beautiful of a school as Stanford is, let’s face it.  I’m a Florida boy.  I think University of Florida would be best for me.” Logan said.

            Logan’s dad leaned down to him and said, “I was hoping you would say that.”  Logan chuckled, and his parents could tell that he was finally happy.