Chapter 17: The Boat

Logan, John, and Mason all ran into each other as they came into the house for dinner. “Yo guys.” John said patting them on the back.  “How’d your days go?”

            “Incredible.” Logan said. “Tara is perfect.  Oh, and she also schooled me in longboarding.”

            “Wait a minute, the king got schooled? By a girl?” Mason asked, making fun of Logan.

            “Yea, yea, yea whatever.  John, how was Kaitlin? I saw you were up and out early this morning.” Logan said.

            “She was amazing, as always.  Yea I taught her how to “surf”” he put air quotes around surf, “and then we had a picnic on the beach, then I totally beat her in our sand castle contest.”  John couldn’t believe how amazing Kaitlin was.  He was really starting to think that this was a lot more than just some summer fling.  He wanted it to become something more than that.

            “Well, you sound happy.  Mason, how about you? Did you have a nice day bonding with your granny and grandpa?” Logan asked.

            “Actually, I uh, I spent the day with someone else.” Mason said.  He couldn’t help but smile.

            “Wait, Mason has found a new girl and he hasn’t told us about her?” John was impressed.

            “Wha- no! It wasn’t a new girl! It was, uh, it was Lauren.”

            “Lauren? But I thought you two weren’t talking to each other. Remember, the whole ‘stuck up thing’?” Logan said.

            “Yea well you guys miss a lot when you turn in early.  We made up last night, but there’s a bit of a problem.”

            “Oh god, dude what could be wrong between you guys now?” Logan said crossing his arms.

            “Well, I’m going to University of Florida, and she’s Florida State.  We’re supposed to be enemies!”

            “But I thought she didn’t get in yet? Kaitlin said none of them have gotten their letters yet.” John crossed his arms and expressed a concerned look on his face.

            ‘Shit’ Mason thought to himself.  Lauren told him not to tell anyone.  “What? Oh yea I know that but I mean if she does get into Florida State, then we’ll have a problem.” Luckily, Mason was able to cover it up.

            “You’ll cross that bridge when you come to it.  Now let’s eat.”  John said, heading inside.  The boys all ate their dinners and went to sit in the living room. “Wait a minute.  Since all of us are getting along with each other again, why don’t we take them on the boat?”

            “Woah, dude.  You mean, the boat?” Logan said.  They had been coming down for years and they had always talked about meeting girls and bringing them on the boat, but it had never actually happened before.

            “Yea man.  I mean, we’ve always joked around about it and made a pact every year, but we’ve never actually brought anyone on it before.  Logan’s right.  That’s a serious step.” Mason said.  They take the boat very seriously.

            “I know it’s serious, but just think of how much fun it’ll be.  All of us with our girls and relaxing on a boat…” John was trying to convince Logan and Mason to get on board.

            “John does have a point Logan.” Mason said, “I’m in.”

            “Yea, you know it would be fun.  What could go wrong?” Logan said.