❝ always confusing the thoughts in my head ❞

Start from the beginning

She needs to get to the hospital.

I could go to one of nearby classrooms and ask the teachers for help, but that would draw a lot of attention, and there wasn't much they could do that I couldn't.

911? Was it a big enough emergency? The bleeding had slowed down, so I don't think she's in danger of dying from blood loss.

I just needed to get her to the hospital to get it checked out.

I didn't have my car at school today... But one of the Elite might. I pulled out my phone, scrolling through the contacts. I only had some of them, despite knowing them for a couple weeks.

Skylar wasn't at school today...

Vanessa was the one on the ground bleeding...

Ashton had a car, but did I really want to call him? We hadn't talked much since what had happened in the Elite's lounge two days ago.

It would have to be Ashton, though, since Jacen was the only other person I had and I'd prefer Ashton over him. I tapped on the button to call Ashton and pressed the phone against my ear. With my free hand, I lightly pressed the scarf into Vanessa's arm, soaking up more blood.

The scarf was a dark brown-red by now. I felt a little bad, since it was probably designer and expensive, but stopping Vanessa from bleeding was more important.

With each ring, I got a little more nervous. I knew Ashton was in class, and that we weren't supposed to have phones, but I didn't think he was he kind to follow the rules. Finally he picked up on the fifth ring.

"Elena?"

"I need help."

"What happened?" he demanded.

"Vanessa. I need you to bring her to the hospital."

There was a pause. "I'll be there soon."

"We're at her locker," I told him before hanging up. Vanessa looked okay, so I stood up, eyeing Vanessa's locker suspiciously. What the hell was in there that could've made such a big and deep cut?

She was reaching up...

I stood on my tiptoes, looking into the top shelf. A shimmer caught my eye, light glinting off metal. At the side, wedged behind her Physics textbook was a razor, dripping with blood.

What the hell?

For some reason, I don't think Vanessa put that here. If she did, she would remember, right? It wasn't like you could forget about an extremely sharp, blood drawing object in your locker.

I slid my sweater sleeve over my hand, then slowly eased out the blade, careful not to cut myself. After getting it out, I grabbed a couple tissues from a pack at the bottom of Vanessa's locker and folded them around the razor blade. Maybe Ashton and Kaden could use it as evidence or something. I shoved the bundle in my pocket and pulled out my phone to check the time.

It had been ten minutes since I called Ashton. What was taking him so long? We were at the end of the school, where the theatre was so it was a little more secluded, true, but it still shouldn't have taken more than ten minutes. Even if he was starting from across the school.

I glanced down the empty hall, then at the closed classroom doors. Maybe it was a better idea to get a teacher instead of waiting for Ashton. Vanessa was still unconscious, but the bleeding had lessened a lot. She still needed to go to the hospital, though, I was almost positive the cut would need stitches.

"What the hell happened?"

I jumped and turned to see Ashton standing behind me, staring at Vanessa's still form.