Chapter 10 - Zivena

Start from the beginning

✲✲✲✲✲

    It's well after midnight before we make it to my bedroom to finish packing. Imogen helps me with the last of my things and we work in silence as a heavy thunderstorm rolls over the city, blanketing us in rain.
    "It seems like it was weeks ago that you were at my house choking on lemon squares," Imogen says and hands me a small pile of t-shirts. "I'm going to miss you, Zi."
    I take the pile and shove them into my suitcase. "I'm going to miss you too. Make sure Jared doesn't hide away forever. You two need to stick together."
    Imogen gives me a sad smile and nods. "I'll try."

✲✲✲✲✲

    I settle into my seat on the plane as Ahren arranges our carry-on luggage. A flight attendant gives my brother a flirtatious smile, placing a hand on his forearm.
    "We're about to depart, so if you could take a seat that'd be wonderful. If you need anything at all, please let me know," she says while flashing a too-white smile.
    "I think I will," Ahren gives her a lopsided grin.
    As the flight attendant swings her hips back down the aisle, I pull out the vomit bag from the seat pocket in front of me. "Just excuse me while I gag a little," I pretend to heave as Ahren sits down next to me.
    "Stop being a smart ass, Zi. It doesn't suit you."
    "I think it suits me perfectly."
    Ahren just chuckles and takes out the in-flight menu. "I'm starving," he mutters.
    "Mmm. Me too," I say and stare out the window.
    Rain drizzles down the side of the plane as we taxi onto the runway. Imogen had stayed last night instead of walking home in the storm but I know the real reason was so she could say goodbye at the airport.
    Too many questions and worries are flying around my head as the plane hurtles down the runway and finally lifts off the ground. Turbulence is rattling those questions around like an eight ball. I shut my eyes.
    "We'll level out soon. You'll be fine," Ahren says.
    I just nod in reply.
    The information from the night before still hasn't properly hit me after finding out about Owen as well as the investigation. Vampires? Demons? Hell, even warlocks I can deal with. Deities? No thank you.
    I settle back into my seat and try to wait out the nerves but thoughts over take me. Thoughts of my friends. Thoughts of Owen. I fight to blink back tears and I feel Ahren's hand on my arm.
    He tells me stories. "When we were in Colorado, I was put in charge of a search. Usually, with a case like that it'd take two weeks from start to finish. Since I was new though, it took us two month. Evert wasn't happy. I think he even tried to pull a mutiny at one point.
    "We eventually found the werewolf though. They'd butchered an entire family and turned a thirteen year old girl."
    "What did you do after that?"
    Ahren gives me a look, hesitating. "We had to take him down."
    I flinch.
    "When it comes to rogue werewolves, rogue-anything, in fact, we have a responsibility to stop it from creating more chaos. Each species has a treaty with the Council. If they harm any humans, we have a right to contain them."
    "Why'd the werewolf go rogue anyway?" I ask, curious.
    "Most werewolves belong to a pack. If a werewolf chooses to be a lone wolf than they aren't connected to anyone. Most of the time this has an effect on them, and it's not a good one. Once a werewolf loses his humanity, no one can help them. They must be eliminated.
    "All the supernatural creatures, like the Fae and vampires, have their own laws that we don't interfere with. If a werewolf pack sees that it's necessary to decapitate one of their own, we can't stop them. It's different if humans or Guardians are involved though. That's when we step in." Ahren's face darkens.
    "What happened with the girl that was turned then?"
    "She was informed of what had happened, and an ally from the Denver pack came to collect her."
    "There's still a lot for me to learn, isn't there?" I feel a bit sick.
    "You're not wrong there."
    "What's my training going to be like?"
    "Well, for the most part you'll be doing weapon and combat training. You also learn how to control your new talents."
    "How often do you train?"
    "Usually it's about six hours; three in the morning and three in the afternoon."
    "Is there anything else?"
    "Not really. There's a few classes in between training but that's it."
    I nod and just sit there, taking it all in.