Chapter 20

Delia's pov:

I casually leaned on the railing, cautiously watching what was happening below me. Gaara and Sasuke stood in the middle of the arena facing each other while the proctor explained the rules one more time.

I bit my lip anxiously. I know Sasuke's strong but Gaara is powerful as well. And to be honest I had no idea who the winner of this match would be.

"Begin!"

As soon as the proctor gave the signal Gaara released sand out of his jar while Sasuke swiftly jumped backwards. Gaara seemed to be clutching his forehead in pain while muttering something I couldn't hear.

After a while Gaara appeared to have calmed down and he urged Sasuke to attack.

From my left I noticed Naruto and Shikamaru coming up to the balcony. The both of them looked quite shaken.

I glanced towards Sasuke to see he was faring relatively well in the battle and quickly moved towards Naruto and Shikamaru, Kiba following swiftly.

"Hey, are you two alright?" I inquired worriedly.

"Delia, Kiba" Shikamaru turned towards me "This Gaara, he's dangerous. Naruto and I just saw him murder someone for no apparent reason."

My eyes widened slightly and I ran back to view the battle. My worry for Sasuke growing every second.

I saw Sasuke slipping through Gaara's sand defense and kicking him in the chest before grabbing his shirt and kneeing him in the stomach. Afterwards he quickly jumped backwards.

I let out a sigh of relief. Sasuke's still holding his own against Gaara. But how much stamina does he have left?

Gaara made a handsign and caused the sand to move around him a sphere, only a small hole was left in the sand sphere.

Sasuke dashed towards the sand sphere and attempted to punch right through it. The sphere suddenly formed long spikes with Sasuke barely managing to stop. I narrowed my eyes and noticed a small trail of blood trickling from his fist and on his cheek.

"Kiba" I looked to my right to see Shikamaru staring at Kiba with a confused look on his face. "Why are you here? You're not a contestant so you're not allowed to be here."

Kiba awkwardly scratched his neck, glancing at me from the corner of his eyes.

"Well, uhm, I was here to congratulate Delia of course."

Shikamaru smirked at him with a knowing glint in his eyes.

"Yeah, I'd better go back now." Kiba glared at Shikamaru before turning around and giving me a small wave and a big grin.

"See you later, princess. Try not to miss me too much."

"That won't be a problem." I deadpanned.

Kiba's face fell into an adorable pout before he turned around and jumped back to the stands. As soon as he turned around I let out a small chuckle. That boy was growing on me.

Shikamaru stared at me inquisitively.

"What?" I asked slowly.

"Oh... nothing." He said, smirking slyly before turning back to the fight.

When I focused on the battle again, Sasuke had his arm stuck in Gaara's sand sphere. He performed some familiar handsigns and used the chidori to pull his arm back out of the sand.

As he finally managed to free his arm he quickly jumped backwards. Some kind of huge arm shooting after him.

"The tailed beast." I muttered in realization.

A terrifying roar came from inside the sand sphere. The sand cracked and fell to the ground to reveal a slightly injured Gaara. He was clutching his shoulder protectively.

Suddenly feathers started falling all around the arena. I felt myself becoming sleepy.

A genjutsu

I quickly released myself from the genjutsu and looked around. It seemed like the entire arena minus a few ninja had fallen asleep. Moreover, I noticed Sasuke following after an escaping Gaara.

I quickly jumped over to where Kakashi and Gai were standing.

"Kakashi, what's happening?"

"Delia" Kakashi patted my head softly "Good job on releasing the genjutsu. It seems like we're under attack."

At that moment explosions went off all over the place and chaos erupted. Sand and sound ninja stood up and started attacking the still standing leaf ninja. Which sadly, included me.

Kakashi, Gai and I stood back to back, trying to defend ourselves from the enemy the best we could.

Kakashi and Gai decided to make some sort of competition about who could beat the most ninja. All in all, I was fairing relatively well against the enemy ninja.

"Delia!" Kakashi's voice screamed, worry lacing his voice.

Three ninja were coming straight at me. Kakashi and Gai were both fighting about six ninja each and were unable to come to my aid.

I take that back

I quickly transformed and flew up, dodging all three attackers.

I quickly shot some spells at them and disposed of them. I let out a small breath I'd been holding and landed on the ground again.

"Delia, I have a mission for you." Kakashi suddenly appeared beside me again. "I want you to wake up Naruto and Shikamaru to go after Sasuke. Pakkun will track him down."

He quickly summoned Pakkun, a small ninja pug, and continued fighting. I nodded and set off towards a drooling Naruto and a probably awake Shikamaru.

"What is it, Delia?" A groggy Naruto asked after I released him from the genjutsu.

Before I could reply a kunai came sailing our way. I pushed Naruto down with me, narrowly avoiding the kunai.

"I'll tell you later. Stay down for now."

I crawled over to where Shikamaru was 'sleeping' and saw his eyebrow twitch slightly. I sweatdropped before hitting him on his head.

His eyes snapped open and he quickly sat upright, holding his head with one his hands.

"What was that for?"

My eyes suddenly caught a flash of movement behind a still dazed Naruto.

"Naruto look out!" I exclaimed in worry for my teammate.

Kakashi arrived in the nick of time and disposed of the enemy ninja.

"Naruto, Shikamaru, the two of you and Pakkun here" Kakashi pointed at the small ninken "will go after Sasuke and bring him back here safely. Delia, I want you to help around here."

I wished Naruto and Shikamaru luck and flew up, scanning around for anyone in need of help. My eyes landed on the hokage who seemed to be surrounded by some sand ninjas who were setting up a barricade of sorts. Without thinking twice, I quickly sped off to the hokage. I arrived just in time as the barrier was pulled up behind me.