Twenty

"I need you to explain to me why you are so sad," explained Frida as she sat down on the floor with him. "You can tell me, there's nobody else here. I promise I won't judge you or tell anybody about this,"
Luigi stared at the floor. "Well," he began, placing his cigarette into the ashtray, "I was born in British Columbia, Canada. My dad, Maurizio was eliminated shortly after I turned six. We never knew who was the murderer of my dad, but we had to leave home because my mother was a housewife and couldn't afford to pay for our house. While my mum Amidala, my older brother Morton, older sister Adele and I were in the train, a man introduced himself to us. His name was Blake Clinton, and later that evening he seduced my mother...well, it looked like it, back then I didn't understand what he was doing to mom. A few hours later she told us that we'll be sticking with Blake from now on. I didn't like Blake from first sight, he seemed creepy to me. His voice, his Air Force uniform, the look of his face, everything. He just wasn't like a dad to me at all. Never in my life I have addressed him as 'dad'. Blake took us to some apartment in Calgary, and we lived there for a year or two. There, I was physically abused for the first time, he slapped me in the face because I refused to turn off the video game system. Since then, he started being more strict with me and my siblings. Then, Blake told us we needed to leave Calgary immediately ostensibly someone was coming to kill us. For nine years, we traveled from city to city, all of southern Canada. When we got to Windsor, Blake told me I needed to help him with something. I said ok, but I had no idea what exactly he was getting me into. At one o clock in the morning, Blake got me out of bed and took me to this cheap tenement with crappy apartments, and asked me to climb up the fire stairs and to the right window on the fourth floor. There was a balcony with furniture, and Blake told me there was a key to the apartment under a floor mat. I asked what the hell he was up to, and then, he put a gun to my head. He said that if I run off or tell anybody, he'll shoot me and the rest of my family. I didn't expect Blake to go this far. I didn't want any of that to happen, so I did as I was told. I felt like a marionette. When I got up there, I found a key under the doormat, and Blake ordered me to open up the door and find money and/or luxury items. I didn't budge. I couldn't force myself to break into someone else's house, even with Blake blackmailing me like this. When Blake started screaming at me to open the goddamn door, a old man and a woman noticed and one of them ran to call the cops. They didn't see Blake, but they saw me. Blake realized that if he didn't run away, he'd get imprisoned immediately. When the cops came, my stepfather was gone, I had to hide somewhere where they wouldn't see me. I concealed behind an immense flower pot, and since it was dark outside, I had clack clothes on and I was underweight, no one found me, even though the cops had flashlights with them. But that experience had a huge impact on me. Now...to make a long story short, the last place where we lived with Blake was Detroit. He somehow managed to illegally immigrate to the United States. Then, I turned 18, Blake just shoved me into his car, drove me to the middle of a highway and left me there with no food, water, or money. Can you believe this? I stood there for nearly two and a half hours trying to get some kind person to take me somewhere I could stay. Finally, a man in a truck pulled up and offered me a ride. I told the man what happened to me. I got lucky: that man owned a local Wendy's, so he just hired me without an interview. While I was washing the tables, Mitch came up to me and started asking me questions, and then proposed me to be his roommate. He told me about Madelyn and her apartment, the fee was 300 dollars per month. At that time I didn't have a home, I was a hobo, I slept near the Briarwood Mall. I agreed, and after our job was done Mitch took me to his house. And...from then on, you know...you were there,"
Frida looked at the man. She gave him a hug: "I'm sorry,"
Luigi weakly hugged her back, feeling like crying. "Don't cry," she whispered to him. He looked at the woman's face..and didn't cry. "Have you ever had a girl of your own?" she asked. The man looked at the ceiling. "When I lived in Calgary, I met a little girl on the playground. She wanted me to play with her, and we spent the whole day playing. At the end of the day, she kissed me. I remember the day we were leaving...that girl had rivers of tears on her face...since then..I never saw her again..I don't even remember her name...I never had nor her phone number, nor her address,"
Frida smiled. "So it was just like childlike love, right?"
-"Indeed. We were six years old,"
-"When I lived in Norway I dated a guy with long hair, Jasper. He was a very loving man. We were together for almost three years, I was about to propose to him, but the relationship ended...after I caught him with another girl. They were making out right in public, I walked by and saw it. I gave him a call later and told him 'It's over,'. Then I came here, to the United States,"
Luigi sat there and listened to her with interest. "Where do you like it more, here or Norway?"
-"I like Norway more, however here is pleasant too. I like that everything is near in this town, a five minute car drive to everything. But in Norway I was able to travel a lot more, one hour on the plane, or just forty five minutes on the train, boom! You're in a different country!"
Luigi grinned. "I'd like to go to Europe someday..I've only been to the United States and Canada,"
Frida blushed. "You're such a cute cinnamon roll!" she smiled, and out of nowhere she grabbed Luigi's face and kissed him. For the first time.