Chapter 19 - The Hunt Part 2

She dropped down from a tall cedar tree where she had been hiding and landed on two legs to deliver a slash with her claws meant to open the Constable's insides. To his credit, Constable McDonaugh acted swiftly and was able to raise his percussion carbine in a two-handed attempt to deflect the blow. The short rifle snapped in half at the impact and the man was thrown to the ground, the claws of the werewolf leaving only mild gashes on his forearms.

Constable McDonaugh rolled and popped back up with his Irish battle-axe in his hand—just as the she-wolf pressed the attack. He ducked under another swipe of the deadly claws and moved in close enough to bury his axe in the creature's side with all his strength. The she-wolf shrieked and raked her claws across his chest. The brave Constable took the wound and moved in closer, grappling with the much larger creature. Van Helsing had been momentarily frozen at the site of his childhood nightmares come to life. He now realized if he didn't do something fast, the Constable wouldn't stand a chance.

Van Helsing lifted the patch from his right eye and used the power of the demon hand to focus the full force of the curse on the she-wolf. The effect was almost immediate. Her wounds healed slower and the she-wolf shook her head to try to clear the shroud of confusion that settled on her mind. Constable McDonaugh was able to get in several powerful punches to the animal's ribs and she seemed unsure how to fight back.

Then her clawed hand found the axe handle and pulled the weapon out with an enormous gush of blood. She tried to throw the weapon aside, but the curse caused the handle to slip and she slit her wrist with the blade instead. The Constable tried to retrieve the weapon, but the she-wolf kicked him in the side, throwing him backward.

The Inspector seized on the clear shot by firing both shells of his double-barreled shotgun into the werewolf's chest. The she-wolf fell back into the tree behind her in a spray of blood and slowly slid down to the ground. The sight spurred Van Helsing into action and he ran over to see if the Constable was still alive while the Inspector reloaded.

The man's chest and stomach were covered with black, sticky blood but he still had some fight left in him and was struggling to sit up. Van Helsing pulled him to his feet, removing his sash to wrap it around the Constable's wounds. "I told you the Vârcolac was real. Do you believe me now?"

Constable McDonaugh winced in pain. "I'll never doubt you again Doctor." A look of fear suddenly crossed the man's face and Van Helsing followed his eyes to the hairy form on the ground.

She wasn't dead. The healing had slowed from the effects of blood loss and the curse, but it had not stopped completely. The hairy shoulders of the beast were convulsing and a single red eye opened. The she-wolf growled in fury and the powerful arms lifted its torso off the ground. Van Helsing could see the buckshot dripping out of the creature's chest and onto the ground in a bloody pool as she healed. The cut in her side had also closed up with a jagged scar.

In a flash, the she-wolf was up and charging the two men. Another blast from the Inspector's shotgun hit her in the leg, slowing her just enough for the two men to survive the attack. The creature's leg buckled and she fell into them instead of pouncing, knocking all three down. Van Helsing was immediately on his feet and reaching for his repeating crossbow. Constable McDonaugh bought him the time he needed, pulling a large belt knife and driving it into the werewolf's neck.

The she-wolf paused in surprise, a choking-whining noise escaping from her throat before she returned the favor and bit deeply into Constable McDonaugh with her sharp jaws. Van Helsing peppered the she-wolf's back with bolts from his repeating crossbow and she released him, but it was too late. The Constable sank to his knees, blood spurting from the grievous wound at his neck as he died.

The werewolf turned and received three more bolts in her chest and stomach. She bellowed in pain and rage, ripping out some and ignoring others as she advanced on the Doctor. Another set of dual-round shells blasted into her side from the Inspector's shotgun. The impact staggered her and she stopped her advance to turn towards the Inspector as he fumbled to reload his weapon.

Van Helsing saw in horror that all of the wounds on her back were still slowly closing. He realized this standard ammunition would not be enough to stop the creature. With her attention turned to the Inspector, Van Helsing had time to discard his crossbow and draw the Damascus-steel longsword at his back. With a yell, he rushed the Vârcolac and swung the blade two-handed with all his might in a downward arch below her knee—completely severing the limb just above the calf.

The she-wolf howled in pain and fell to the ground. Van Helsing wasted no time and removed another of the Demon Fire torches from his coat. He stabbed his blade into the werewolf's shoulder, pinning her to the ground. Then he snapped off the fuse, lit the torch and plunged the wooden handle into her eye. He barely had time to turn away and fling himself to the ground before the creature's head exploded and Demon Fire engulfed the hairy body with a sickening smell and searing heat.