Chapter 27 - The Spell of Making Part 1

The voyage back to London was mostly uneventful, with both men spending their time on separate parts of the ship. Dorian passed the time writing several letters to Shen explaining his quick departure and vowing to return. He wondered if she could read English as well as speak it. Dorian kept busy by taking on an extra shift at the crow's nest. The war had changed him, and he preferred solitude to the cheerful banter of Lieutenant Purcell. The young Lieutenant had also accompanied them along with Lord Captain Elgin on the H.M.S. Victory.

After entering London Harbour, Dorian received his honorable discharge in the Paymaster's heavy ledger as Ensign Lynch. Lieutenant Paymaster Blundell begrudgingly added a bonus of eight pounds three under Lord Captain Elgin's order. He and Lieutenant Purcell were there to see him off.

The Captain saluted and then extended his hand. "I hate to see a fine young lad like yourself go. Sure saved our arse many-a-time. Are you certain you won't sign on for another year?"

Dorian smiled and shook the Captain's hand firmly. He was a fine skipper and an honorable commander. "Alas, no. I have business to attend to here. But it has been an honor serving with you, my Lord Captain."

Lieutenant Purcell moved in to shake his hand. "You will be missed, my friend. Call on me whenever you have the need."

The two men traded a private look and parted ways. Lord Crawley said his goodbyes and supervised as his heavy officer's chest was loaded onto a waiting carriage. It no doubt contained his spoils of war, and he kept a close eye on it as Dorian boarded the same carriage. This was the only space that the two men had shared for the entire voyage. The silence was palpable as they travelled to Lady Helena's estate.

Lord Crawley cleared his throat. "No offense intended, Dorian. It was just business you understand."

Dorian's voice was ice as he responded. "Oh, I certainly understand about betraying your friends for a few gold coins. Did you forget who you were talking to?"

Lord Crawley seemed suddenly less confident now that the two were alone. "Righto. It seems that I might have. Ah, do let me know how I can help with this supposed cure."

Dorian stared at the man as he casually flexed the muscles in his right hand. "I know I can count on you to do the right thing."

The carriage reached the estate of Lady Helena and Lucious stood outside to greet them. He had a look on his face as if tasked with cleaning out a foul smelling larder.

Dorian favored the brittle Scotsman with a warm smile. "Why, if it isn't my favorite horticulturist."

Lucious spat a glob of phlegm on the perfect cobblestones that he must have been hoarding for just this occasion. "Haud yer weesht 'n' follow me."

They followed Lucious inside and then down a flight of red brick steps. They exited the main house through a thick kingwood door and began walking down a long stone corridor. At about the halfway point Lucious stopped and began pushing against a section of the wall. It slid open with a creak. It was not a section of wall at all but a concealed doorway with limestone steps leading underground for several meters.

Dorian suddenly began to sweat. "Exactly what is this 'procedure' that Lady Helena would like me to undergo?"

Lucious lit a gas lamp at the top of the steps and shrugged. "A dinnae ken. Follow me or dinnae. Th' mistress 'n' her streenge Romani mukker ur below."

Lord Crawley and Dorian's footsteps echoed as they followed the Scotsman down the steps. They entered a long room with a sunken fireplace in the middle and surrounded by several smaller rooms. It might have been a wine cellar once, but now resembled a dungeon. The fire glowed brightly and Lady Helena sat by it along with another older woman that Dorian had never seen before. It was a relief to see his old friend again after being so long away from home. A smile immediately fell on his lips.

Lady Helena stood and greeted them warmly. "Dorian, I am so glad to see you return safely. Thank you, Lord Crawley for protecting him."

Lord Crawley gave a short bow. "I am a man of my word, my Lady. Now that I have delivered him to you, please excuse me as I have several other matters to attend to."

The smile remained on Lady Helena's mouth but disappeared from her voice and eyes. "Do stay. You have a role yet to play."

She turned to the woman still seated. "Dorian, this is Shuvani Ingraham. She thinks she may have a solution to your...problem."

The Romani woman was dressed in the same long-sleeved white linen shirt with a dark red bodice. She had traded out the gold coins interwoven in her red silk headscarf for silver ones. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Dorian Gray. I understand you knew my verişoară Sage Holdsworth."

It took Dorian a moment to realize her meaning. "You are related to Sage? Then maybe you can help undo what was done in her painting of me."

Lady Helena unwrapped the painting in question and set it on the table. A well-dressed version of Dorian that might as well have been a mirror looked back at them from the canvas.

Shuvani Ingraham's eyes darted back and forth between the painted and actual face of Dorian. "The likeness is uncanny. Tell me what you know of this painting."