Chapter 10 - The Demon Eye Part 3

Van Helsing was true to his word and entered the Doctor's service, diligently learning everything about medicine that he could. He studied every medical book that he could get his hands on, along with the Doctor's detailed sketches of the human anatomy. He assisted in the many experiments, gathered and mixed materials for the Doctor's medicines, and even assisted in examining and diagnosing patients. His eye continued to heal slowly. The burning pain gradually retreated to a constant itch. Van Helsing wanted to be hopeful, but the redness never seemed to recede. Neither did the swelling, and the eye stayed about double the size it should be. He didn't dwell on thinking about the eye, however, as every day became a struggle.

Van Helsing's dexterity and skill in the forest had been replaced with constant failure and clumsiness in the Doctor's service. Hardly a day passed when he didn't drop some of the Doctor's equipment, destroy the delicate balance of a mixture, burn his hand on a hot pan, or set fire to something. His patient teacher attributed it to the difficulty of the profession, but Van Helsing began to wonder if it wasn't due to the demon's final curse. His nightmares at night became worse until finally, he asked the Doctor for a sleeping potion that provided dreamless sleep.

One day he removed the patch over his right eye, only to discover that he could see some blurry light with it. The Doctor was pleased with the progress and Van Helsing began to hope that his vision would return. Each day the eye grew stronger, but something was wrong. Instead of normal vision, the blurry light was tinted red. The eye was too large, the pupil dark as night and elongated like that of a wolf—or the eyes of the demon he had slain. As his vision finally cleared, it became deeply unsettling. The red eye saw better in total darkness and often saw strange shadows and vibrations that were not visible to his left eye.

He was examining the red eye in the mirror when he decided to unwrap the demon hand. The hand glowed like fire under the gaze of his red right eye. The glow emanated from the demon hand in pulsing waves directed at his body. Van Helsing moved three steps to the left and the waves followed him. He went to the corner of the room and still the waves tracked his movement.

A disturbing realization dawned in his mind. Somehow, the demon's blood had splattered in his ruined eye. Instead of healing, a new demon eye had grown in its place and now he could see the curse that the demon had put on him. With the red demon eye, he could see the curse emanating from the demon hand in malevolent waves. Could he somehow control it? It was insane, but he had seen many things recently to make him question his sanity.

Van Helsing concentrated on the demon hand and the curse radiating from it. With all his will, he commanded the curse to stop. Nothing. He tried again with no success. He was powerless to end the curse, but maybe he could redirect it away from him. He closed his human eye completely and stared hard at the claws of the demon hand, willing the fingers to move. They twitched ever so slightly and for a second the curse changed direction. He felt instantly lighter, like a great burden had been lifted from his shoulders.

In the following days, he continued to practice moving the curse until he could maintain it directed elsewhere for several minutes. The Doctor noticed his students' improved care and precision and complimented himself on his excellent teaching methods. Van Helsing had simply learned to remove the curse whenever he was doing anything important. Eventually, he was able to continually radiate the curse outward from his body. He did this by wearing the demon hand in a sack tied around his neck and hidden under his clothing.

It was only when the Doctor himself started breaking equipment and setting fires of his own, that Van Helsing realized the curse was spreading out and harming those around him. He knew then that he must leave the good Doctor. He had learned much in the ways of healing and scientific experimentation. The Doctor had schooled him in mathematics and physics as well.

Van Helsing bid his teacher goodbye and set off into the world once again. His newfound knowledge soon became useful as he modified and created new weapons.

The demon eye could turn the curse on any creature or man and made him nearly invincible during a hunt or a fight. With the curse turned upon a wolf, he could kill it with only a knife in his hand. The cursed wolf would stumble or mistime its leap, or it would snap its jaws too soon or too late. It was all too easy for Van Helsing to dispatch the cursed animal.

The legend of Van Helsing continued to grow. He was summoned to all corners of the world to hunt all manner of monsters. He was unstoppable with his arsenal of deadly weapons and the demon eye at his command. Nonetheless, he always found time to hunt those vicious wolves whom he had never forgiven for the death of his parents. When a letter from a Lady Helena arrived, hinting at a huge wolf terrorizing London, he packed his weapons and departed at once.