Chapter 20 Yuexiu Forest - Part 3

Suddenly the pigs outside set to squealing. Feng jumped up from the table. "Stay inside." He grabbed his bow and quiver of arrows and moved towards the door.

Dorian placed his hand on the man's arm. "I can fight."

"No, you must stay here with Shen. I will kill whatever is outside."

Dorian nodded his ascent as Shen ran into the room. "Father, the pigs..." She cut off as she saw the bow in his hands.

The pigs squealing became frantic as a low growl sounded. "Shen, stay inside. Wàiguó rén, you will protect her."

Dorian bowed his head. "With my life."

"Father, no!" But he was already moving out the door, pausing only to pick up a small lantern.

Dorian closed the door behind him and strained his ears to hear what was happening outside. His heightened senses could make out the strum of a bowstring and the meaty thwack of an arrow striking flesh. A feline growl of fury burst through the calls of the swine.

The bow sang once more before Feng gave a warrior's yell and charged into battle. Dorian shivered with indecision. Feng needed his help, but he had sworn to protect Shen.

The choice was made for him as Shen grabbed a knife from the table and ran towards the door. "If you won't help him, then I will."

Dorian followed close at Shen's heels as she ran into the night, brandishing her small blade. Feng's lantern lay partially crushed on the ground, still giving off some light. Feng was locked in a wrestling hold with a huge leopard, two arrows protruding from its back. The leopard had come down from the forest and found the pigs to be easy prey. Feng was proving much more challenging for the large cat.

The leopard was dark yellow with black and brown spots. It hissed and bit down into Feng's neck and back with long canines, as sharp claws tore bloody trenches across the man's arms and chest. His tunic had provided some protection, but it was evident that his strength was quickly fading. The only reason the leopard hadn't already killed him was the three inches of steel blade jutting from the side of the cat's jaw.

Dorian grabbed the small knife from Shen's hand and threw it spinning towards the leopard's hindquarters. The animal snarled in pain as the blade sunk into its leg. Feng fell to the ground as the big cat spun to face the new threat. Dorian ran headlong into the beast and dropped his shoulder as his body collided with it.

The leopard slid back on the ground away from Feng's motionless body. Dorian rose into a fighting stance as the cat circled him slowly, limping from the knife still protruding from its back leg. Lady Helena had always told him that an injured animal was the most dangerous.

The leopard pounced, giving Dorian little time to avoid the sharp claws flying towards his face. He dropped to one knee, grabbing the leopard out of the air and continuing its momentum to throw it against the side of the house. Dorian rolled to his feet with blood dripping from deep scratches on his arm.

The leopard was dazed and Shen wasted no time. She covered the distance to the pig's pen and threw the long pitchfork used to collect manure in the air. "Wàiguó rén, catch!"

Dorian jumped into the air to catch the weapon.As he landed, he thrust the three metal prongs through the torso of the cat with all his might. He danced back as the leopard struck out with its claws but was unable to move. Dorian had pinned it to the wall. The leopard's thrashing gradually slowed as it died, defiant until the end.