Chapter 16 - The Battle of Canton Part 1

The H.M.S. Victory traveled up Zhujiang river accompanied by the other ships of the French and English fleets. The ruined remains of two Chinese river forts on opposite banks of the river spoke of the previous action that had cleared the way for their advance up the wide river. Dorian thought the impossibly high walls of the city of Canton a trick of the eyes, but they were not. Originally constructed to keep out raiding Mongol hordes, the thick stone slabs that made up the walls were nearly ten meters high. The tops of the walls bristled with archers and the short-range Chinese cannons. The walls skirted the banks of the river and traveled back all the way to the forest, completely encircling the massive city of Canton.

Previous attempts at diplomacy had all failed. The Viceroy Ye Mingchen had refused to release the English and French prisoners he had taken. He had already ordered the execution of two French missionaries and placed a bounty on the head of any English or French invader. The ruler of the city of nearly one million people felt safe behind his high walls and had received a letter of support from the Chinese Emperor who also supported dissolving the existing trade treaties between the three countries.

A series of flag and lantern signals could be seen coming from the Admiral's ship. The Captain made some quick notes and called out to the shipmaster. "Ten degrees to port. Make ready to turn and prepare to fire. We will hold our position and give them a broadside. Concentrate all fire on the guns atop the walls just right of the foremost gatehouse."

Twelve other ships in the fleet were preparing similar maneuvers after sailing to their assigned positions on the wide river and targeting various sections of the wall. Four ships turned downriver from the city towards the eastern bank and began readying their guns to provide cover as the remaining ships moved to land troops on the ground.

The ships slowly swung into position and waited for the signal to attack. They were just out of the range of the weaker Chinese guns, which nonetheless fired incessantly. Their lead cannon balls fell harmlessly short into the water of the river. "Fire!" The Captain gave the command and the guns aboard the H.M.S. Victory roared to life. There was a two second delay between the sound of the cannons as they fired and when the thirty-two pound balls exploded high atop the walls. The harbingers of death announced their arrival with a low whistling sound as the balls spun in the air before impacting the top of the walls and sending archers, cannons, and giant chunks of stone flying. Smoke and ash rose in the air and the screams of dying and injured men could be faintly heard as the ship's guns were reloaded. One of the balls had collided with a store of gunpowder near the gatehouse and fire could be seen spreading among the archers on the walls. Men collapsed as they burned alive and some desperately leapt to their deaths, aiming at the river below.

Five platoons of the Royal Marines had landed on shore to an ambush of Chinese soldiers armed with muskets and spears. They were fighting and dying for every meter as they struggled to gain a foothold on the river bank. The ships supporting the landing couldn't risk firing their cannonade guns, so they moved in closer to shore and the Marines aboard began firing volleys from their rifles. Scores of Chinese soldiers fell as each minute passed and the French began landing cavalry and preparing to charge.

This was what the Chinese had been waiting for, as a fiery arrow streaked across the sky and a new group of soldiers appeared and began laboring to raise a giant iron chain submerged at the bottom of the river.

"The rats have laid a trap." The Captain strode to the side and extended his looking glass. "They've buried a chain in the middle of the river to cut off our ships." The chain had been raised to the surface of the water, effectively separating the fleet. As he scanned the high grass along the bank, hundreds of mounted Chinese cavalry appeared and charged the French infantry and Calvary. The English soldiers had also been surprised as short-range artillery concealed behind an outcropping of rocks began raining down upon them.

The Captain leapt into action. "Unfurl the sails and turn back to starboard." He called up to Dorian in the crow's nest, "Midshipman, can you see where the artillery are positioned?"

Dorian focused his eyes on the groupings of rocks scattered around the edges of the forest and the side of the river. The Qing soldiers there must have covered their clothes and artillery with soot to conceal their presence among the dark rocks. He willed his eyesight to sharpen and it did. Dorian called down to the gunmen below him. "Take aim at fifty-five degrees to starboard, distance...seventy meters."

The gunmen swiveled their cannons and aimed at the rocks using Dorian's specifications. "Fire," ordered the Captain as he swiveled his gaze back and forth across the side of the river. The ship's cannons were struck and boomed their outrage over the heads of the besieged Marines on land--and missed.

Another of the French ships had caught on and attempted a similar shot with their guns. Their aim had been long and missed to port.

"Bollocks." The Captain swore. "Correct your aim Midshipman. Hurry, Englishmen are dying."