Chapter 5 - An Escape Plan

Lady Helena's dream had turned very naughty indeed. The room was filled with candles that twinkled seductively. She could feel the coolness of her silk sheets as she rubbed her smooth legs together. She was young again and abed with one of her many former lovers. In fact, several of them were there in her chambers and they each came forward, one after the other, to take their turn in pleasing her. A French businessman kissed her neck and breasts delicately, a hard-muscled laborer lifted her off the bed to new heights of passion, and a dark and exotic steward took her from behind with powerful thrusts. Last of all came Dorian Gray. The very sight of him made her wet with longing. He kissed her deeply and stroked her hair and cheek. His kiss was urgent and forceful. Much stronger than she remembered. His lips pressed deeper, she—she couldn't breathe.

Her eyes shot open as the hand pressed tightly over her mouth. Her first instinct was to fight but what could an old woman do? Then she saw who the hand belonged to. There was Dorian Gray, alive and in her room. He was whispering for her not to scream.

"Mmffrrrhh."

"What?"

"Mmffvv-yyrr-hnnd."

"Oh, sorry." Dorian took his hand away from her mouth. "Ouch!" She smacked him again to underscore the point.

Dorian was rubbing his arm when Lady Helena suddenly pulled him forward and into an embrace. They hugged each other close and both remembered the bond they had once shared.

Her eyes came away slick with tears. "I knew you were still alive. But why didn't you send word? What on earth has happened? Who is trying to kill you?"

Dorian shook his head. "You wouldn't believe me if I told you. I am sorry to steal in here like this but I am desperate for your help. My life is in danger. I need your help to leave London quickly and quietly. More than that, I need your help to recover the painting."

Lady Helena put her hand to her lip and tapped it in feigned confusion. "What painting?"

"You remember. It's the one Sage painted of me and the wolf pup."

"Ah, you mean the one on the table behind you."

"No not the one on the table behind me—err, yes." Dorian had just turned around and now stared silently in a moment of shock.

He tilted his head to the side. "Strange, the wolf pup is gone."

"Then you didn't have it painted out?"

"No, but how did you manage to get it here?"

"Oh, a woman has her ways. Your old friend Lord Crawley was of some assistance."

"Lord Crawley?"

CLICK—the sound of a pistol being cocked made Dorian freeze.

From the corner of the room another voice spoke. "Yes, Lord Crawley. Should I shoot this intruder for you?"

Dorian turned to confront the man as he stepped out from the shadows.

Lady Helena's voice took on a playful tone. "Very tempting but no. In fact, I think it is time that you and Mr. Gray put the past behind you and help each other."

Lord Crawley still had not lowered the pistol. "I'd much rather shoot him in the face."

Dorian's complexion reddened. "You don't have the tallywags for it."

"Now, now. There is no reason for you two gentlemen to get into a collie shangles just because there is a lady present. Besides, I am not so easily impressed. Lord Crawley, lower your weapon NOW."

He begrudgingly obliged.

Just then, the door flew open and Lucious burst in, pointing his shotgun first at Lord Crawley and then at Dorian. "Mistress dis 'ere's da vermin. Brok' yer windae da bawbag did. Shuid ah gie 'em som' new air holes?"

"Not now, Lucious. We are all friends here. What is it with you boys waving your guns about?"

Lucious quickly lowered his shotgun and fired a vicious look in Dorian's direction instead.

"That will be all, Lucious. See to fixing the window and go...garden something."

He reluctantly turned to leave. "Aye, Mistress."

"And Lucious?"

He paused.

"Tomorrow we will discuss how it was that an intruder so easily entered my home."

Lucious' face turned reddish-yellow in fury. He nodded and stormed out of the room.

Lady Helena folded her hands and smiled. "Now, as I was saying, the two of you can help each other. Mr. Gray will need safe passage out of the city as soon as possible."

Lord Crawley crossed his arms. "Good riddance."

"Not quite. You will be going with him."

"What?"

"Your particular talents will be needed to help forge the necessary documents. I will use my influence where I can but the two of you will be traveling together and you will be entrusted with protecting Mr. Gray."

"I most certainly will not."

"In return, Mr. Gray will sign a revision to his will. After the inquest is concluded and all other matters settled, all of your debts will be paid in full by the late Mr. Gray. Is this satisfactory?"

Lord Crawley's eyes gleamed at the thought of regaining his fortune and standing in society. He smiled. "Quite satisfactory. I was only kidding, old boy. A fine joke between friends wouldn't you say?"

"Hardly. Lady Helena, I thank you for your help but I do not need a traveling companion."

"That part of the deal is non-negotiable. Lord Crawley will act on my behalf and report to me regularly while I investigate things further here. If you agree to these conditions I promise to keep your secrets hidden and under my protection until you can safely return." She pointedly looked at the painting on the table.

Dorian considered for a moment. It would only slow him down to flee with the painting. He thought he could trust Lady Helena to keep it safe. "Very well, but we must leave immediately."

"I will do my best. For now you must stay out of sight. I own a small cottage on the outskirts of town where you can stay. Lucious will provide you with the key. Go now. You mustn't linger here."

"Thank you, Lady Helena."

 "Of course, Mr. Gray. Lord Crawley, please pour us some wine. We have much to do and very little time."