Chapter 17 - The Hunter's Moon Part 1

Van Helsing knew a hostile welcome when he saw one. Upon landing in England, he had immediately traveled to the address on the letter that had brought him to this dreary and damp country. He was made to wait so long for Lady Helena by a scowling Scotsman, that he began to amuse himself by slowly unwinding the demon's curse. He sent it in the direction of a fat tomcat slowly stalking a songbird in the garden. The unfortunate feline mistimed its pounce and ended up very wet in a small pond as the bird flew safely away. The Scotsman finally admitted him to the drawing-room just as a muscular Scottish Deerhound accidentally smashed a particularly expensive-looking vase to pieces.

"Wolv, ye Knobdobber," Lucious roared and threw a fist in the direction of the Deerhound who deftly dodged away and sprinted from the room.

A silvery voice beckoned Van Helsing into the room. "Come in Mr. Van Helsing."

"Doctor Nicolai Van Helsing, at your service."

Lady Helena paused and cleared her throat. "Yes Doctor Van Helsing, thank you so much for coming so...promptly. I am afraid it was a bit hasty of me to write to you before I had all the facts. It seems I was mistaken about my suspicions as to the cause of the murders I mentioned in my letter—imagine a giant beast wandering the city." She laughed and blushed in embarrassment.

Van Helsing stared at the elderly woman in front of him, keenly aware of her still attractive shape and the delicate structure of her face. She must have been very beautiful in her youth. "Not just a beast, you said it was a giant wolf."

Lady Helena looked down at her hands. "You must forgive an old woman with a fanciful imagination. My wits were not what they once were."

Van Helsing regarded her with a doubtful expression. He had noticed the careful way in which she had sought to manipulate him. She had slumped slightly forward in her chair and replaced her initially sharp expression with a dull and confused look. He could almost see the brightness in Lady Helena's eyes fading as if she willed her words to be true.

"I was skeptical at first when I received your letter, but I have since made several inquiries and found the reputation of Lady Helena to be that of a careful and shrewd businesswoman—not prone to mistakes or fancy."

"You flatter me, Doctor. But the murders have stopped completely. If there was something here, it has since gone. Let me compensate you for wasting your time."

Van Helsing felt a sharp pulse through the demon eye at the wrongness in the woman's words. She was lying to him. "That will not be necessary. If you do not mind, I will stay and discover the truth of things for myself."

A brief look of fear crossed Lady Helena's face. "Are you sure? I am terribly embarrassed to have you come all this way for nothing. At least let me pay the costs of your passage."

"If you wish to compensate me then I would know the name of this Inspector you mentioned. He will have important details on the murders and might be some help to me."

Lady Helena covered her displeasure with an inviting smile. "Of course. His name is Detective Inspector Gerald Clarke. However, I am afraid he will tell you that these murders were far from unusual in a city as violent as London. Could I interest you in a stag hunt that an associate of mine is planning? I hear the pursuit can be quite exhilarating for a man of your talents."

Van Helsing removed his wide-brimmed felt hat and gave a low bow. "Another time perhaps. I thank you for your...hospitality, but I must take my leave. I will show myself out, as your man seems preoccupied with piecing back together that exquisite vase. Seventeenth-century Maiolica is it?"

"What?" Lady Helena looked through the doorway as Lucious hopelessly tried to reassemble the shattered vase. "Err..yes, sixteenth-century, actually." By the time she looked back towards the tall hunter he was already striding briskly towards the door. She called after him halfheartedly, "Do let me know if you find anything."