chapter four // blushing.

ellie's pov

Feeling the drag of the last few hours of my shift, I stand in the break room, sipping a cup of coffee - though the taste is far too bitter for me - praying that it gives me the energy I need to keep pushing on. I just need to get home and shower and sleep forever. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and had never been so horrified before. 

My blonde hair has become this thick frizz ball and the bags under my eyes have become some sort of permanent trademark. Luckily there isn't anyone in this hospital that I have to impress with my dashing good looks; thank god for that. 

"Hey, look who's decided to take time away from her glamorous doctor job to join us commoners in the break room," A familiar voice calls out as several pairs of footsteps enter the breakroom.

I can't help but to let out a quiet sigh to myself. Normally I do pretty well with Chelsea's sarcastic comments, but at this moment, I'm not sure I can take anything from anyone. I simply turn around to give her a small, tired smile. 

She looks more alive than ever, probably considering she's doing normal shifts and not being idiotic like myself and pulling a 24 hour shift. She plops down on the worn-in leather sofa with some of the other interns surrounding her. 

Though I know she intended that comment to be a joke, I can't help but to notice the bitterness behind her eyes. Chelsea is an incredibly competitive person and seeing anyone else excel kills her; she's always been like that. I admire her determination. 

"So, are you going to spill the details of the patient or what?" Another intern, Sonya, remarks, speaking what's on everyone's mind. 

I can feel my chest tighten with anxiety, knowing this will not pan out well. If I tell them, Dr. Frenette will kill me, but if I don't, they'll ridicule me and call me a kiss ass. 

"Sorry guys, Frenette will kill me," I apologize, tucking my hair behind my ear as I avoid looking any of them in the eyes. 

"Typical," Sonya snorts and gets up to get herself a cup of coffee. I awkwardly move out of the way, wracking my brain for some sort of excuse to get me out of here. 

Glancing up to the clock, trying to see if a few hours happened to go by so I can leave, I meet Peter's eyes. He's been incredibly silent throughout the whole ordeal, which isn't all that surprising. He flashes me a quick smile of encouragement, causing my nerves to rest at ease. 

The other interns can be a bit catty and competitive at times, but Peter and I just sit back and let them drive themselves insane over it all. If he weren't here, I'm not sure I'd be either. We keep each other sane in this hectic place. 

As if the angels above hear my pleas, my beeper goes off loudly, echoing through the breakroom. Mumbling what I had intended to be an explanation that I need to go, I scurry out of the room as fast as my feet will carry me. 

Glancing down at my pager, I read the small digital letters, telling me to go straight down to Liam's room number. The relief that had engulfed my body as I had an excuse to leave the awkward atmosphere of the breakroom shatters as I realize that something must be up with Liam, otherwise why would they page me?

I rush through the halls, weaving the best I can. My wide-set hips have a clumsy tendency of bumping into things, nearly knocking over an entire tray of surgery utencils, earning myself a dirty look from the surgeon trying to make it down the hall. 

Soon I skid to a halt in front of Liam's room, glancing nervously at Dr. Frenette who appears oddly calm for his urgent paging. 

"Yes?" I ask, slightly out of breath. I regret not taking up Chelsea on her several offers to hit up the gym. I could really use it.