chapter twenty-nine // cold noses

ellie's pov

The kitchen was cleared and the house returned back to its normal state, despite Karen's efforts to help us, we finished it rather quickly. Just as we finished washing up our hands, we heard loud footsteps hurrying out of the house.

Mia, Alicia and I hurry out of the kitchen to see what the commotion is. We barely catch the back of Rosalie's head as she scurries out. Alicia mumbles something to us before hurrying after us. Mia merely exchanges an amused look with me before she heads back into the kitchen.

Just as I'm about to follow Mia back into the kitchen, where I'm sure she was going to indulge into some prime gossip, I catch Liam wheeling himself down the hallway, taking his time. He wears an exhausted look on his face as he makes his way out to join the rest of the group.

We meet eyes momentarily before I hurry back into the kitchen, my cheeks flaring a delicate shade of pink.

My thoughts were still spiraling out of control in my head.

Liam likes me.

I wanted nothing more than to run over to him, plant one on him and tell him that I felt exactly the same. I wish things were that easy. And I wish I had the courage to do something like that.

But instead my stomach flips and flops as my thoughts get away from me, imagining the two of us together.

Even Mia could tell my thoughts were occupied when I joined her in the kitchen. She asked me a dozen times if I were listening to her as she went on about how Alicia and Rosalie are best friends, so things have always been awkward when it comes to those two.

I wanted to tell Mia about what I overheard, and I know I can trust her, but for some reason, I keep it to myself. Guilt still eats away at my insides when I remind myself that Liam is my patient. I'm not sure if I'll ever be comfortable with anyone else knowing about this little thing we have going on between us.

Though it was great to have people like Niall there to be a shoulder to lean on, I still felt as if this big secret were going to get out somehow and ruin my career.

"Girls, get out of the kitchen! You've done enough helping for now, come join the others and relax," Karen pops her head in to scold us, wearing that warm grin of hers again.

She pats me on the shoulder as I walk past her to join everyone else in the living room. As always, the group is laughing and joking around when we enter. Mia hurries over to Louis's side, plopping down on his lap. Niall scoots closer to Harry on the sofa, gesturing for me to join him. I notice that Alicia still isn't back yet. I'm sure she's busy talking with Rosalie.

Liam sits across the room from me, smiling and laughing along with the others. I feel as if I've become hyper-intuned to his presence. His laugh sticks out in the chorus of chuckles in the room, crystal clear.

I find myself sneaking glances at him, as if it were forbidden to do so. Every so often, the two of us meet eyes and share a secret smile as if we were in on a joke that everyone else was oblivious to. He sends me an optimistic smile, assuring me that things were going to be alright.

At exactly 7pm my watch beings to beep, letting both Liam and I know that we had to head over to the Wolverhampton hospital to check in with the other doctors.

"I hate to break up the fun, but I have to get Liam to the hospital for some check-ups," I frown as I get to my feet.

"Were we still thinking of hitting up the pubs, boys?" Niall asks the group as Liam wheels himself across the living room, joining me by my side.