chapter two // exhausted.

zayn's pov

If you ever think your day couldn't get worse, trying to sit in a waiting room after watching your best mate get hit by a car and you have no idea if he's going to make it through the night. 

And to top it all off, it's all our fault we're even in this situation. 

I can't help but to pace back and forth through the small, private waiting room they stuck us in, instead of allowing us to wait in Liam's waiting room. No one says a word. The only thing that can be heard is the sniffles coming from Harry, who has curled himself in a ball on one of the rather uncomfortable pink sofas. 

"Zayn if you don't stop pacing around the place, I'm going to hurt you, mate," Louis snaps at me, taking his face out of his hands where they were resting for the past twenty minutes. 

With a groan, knowing tension is high and that's the only reason Louis is being cranky, I plop down in one of the sofas across from Harry, next to Niall. Niall just stares blankly to the wall, silent and emotionless.

"And Harry if you don't - " Louis continues to attack everyone, but he doesn't get too far before he's interrupted,

"Leave him alone, ay?" I snap back at Louis, "We're all scared here, we just need to calm down," I tell everyone, trying to get Harry to stop crying, which is what he's been doing since we rode over here in the ambulance.

Glancing over at Niall, he still hasn't taken his eyes off of the blank white wall. His lack of a reaction is actually scaring me quite a bit. Usually he's brimming to the top with words and energy, but he's completely empty. 

Louis buries his face in his palms yet again, not saying another word. Leaving the only thing to be heard in our small waiting room to be the ticking of the clock and Harry's sniffles. I can feel my sanity slipping away from me with each passing moment. 

Feeling my phone buzz away in my pocket - as it has been for the past twenty minutes, full of concerned messages from his family and our management - I pull it out for some sort of distraction. 

I look down to see my inbox full of messages, but I only open one message thread; the one from Linley. 

My girlfriend is currently touring all of the country, far away from me. I haven't seen her in a month. And our last visit could barely be considered a visit. I flew to South Carolina on a free weekend to spend a single day before flying back out to continue my own tour.

I see a missed call from her as well, but I can't get myself to actually call her, scared that I'll miss out on something here. So I read her text messages instead.

what's going on? have you heard anything? are you sure you're alright? not hurt at all? call me as soon as you can, ok? i love you

My fingers are quick to type a reply, not wanting her to sit there and waste her time worrying about me. 

i'm fine, can't talk right now, stuck in a waiting room, still haven't heard anything. i'll call you as soon as we hear something. i love you so much ! xx 

I can feel Niall's phone buzzing like crazy in his pocket - as it often is, for he's a popular young lad - but he doesn't even aknowledge it. He still stares at the blank wall, his blue eyes wide and now that I have a closer look at him, his eyes are brimming with unspilled tears. 

"It's going to be okay, mate," I whisper to him, reaching over to pat him on the knee. 

Niall nods in agreement, but the tears that finally spill over his cheeks let me know that he's not all that assured. I wrap my arm around his shoulder, allowing him to rest his head on my own shoulder.