chapter twenty-one // stupid little heart.

ellie's pov

My feet ache as I rush the clipboard down the hall, running as fast as my legs will carry me in order to avoid being stopped by the other interns, doctors and nurses who have heard the news, I'm sure. As soon as people recognize me, I'm already gone, letting them know I have absolutely no time to deal with them.

Dr. Gerard has said the rest of the hospital has been utter madness. Other patients and employees have been trying to sneak their way into the private wing all day. Even professional doctors who have worked here over fifty years are trying to get a chat in with Liam Payne. I'm sure they have eager granddaughters at home begging them to get Liam Payne's autograph.

I even went as far as asking one of the nurses to get my a pair of scrubs to borrow from the locker room to avoid the other med students that I'm sure are still holding their bitter grudge, waiting to pounce the moment they see me. Chelsea is fuming, I'm sure. Like myself, she is a fan of the boy band, and she's no doubt even more pissed that I didn't tell her it was Liam who was here.

My brain begins to ache along with my feet the longer I think about it.

I finally retreat back into the private wing, which is much more calm than the rest of the hospital, which is saying something for everyone in Liam's wing is on the brink of a mental breakdown. I drop the clipboard off at the nurses station, in the hands of an eager nurse who begins typing away on her computer, not wasting a millisecond.

"Vandergelt," Dr. Frenette barks as he walks past, heading in the direction I just came from. Like an obedient lap dog, I rush to catch up with him, walking beside him and Dr. Gerard, "You look like you're half dead, kid," He tells me, not sparing my feelings at all. I try to catch a glimpse of my reflection in windows as we walk past, trying to see how horrible it is, "Go into the empty room next at the end of the hall and get some sleep. Everything is handled here, you have nothing to do, and I'm going to deal with the rest of the hospital."

He tells me - no, more demands me - and walks off, closing the conversation as he heads out the guarded doors, into the rest of the hospital, not even looking back. I stand there, rather caught off guard.

It takes all of me to not run after him, pleading for something to do. It kills me to be sitting here useless.

Though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't absolutely exhausted. I've been running around nonstop since I woke up this morning, and it doesn't help that I didn't get much sleep last night either, not with my overactive brain and imagination running me into a deep hole of despair.

After standing there like an idiot for a few seconds, coming to the realization that I can finally breathe, I turn around and head down the hall. Passing Liam's room, I glance inside, catching him watching tv and dozing off, barely able to keep his eyes open. I'd much rather sit at his side and talk to him about the whole ordeal - which I'm sure has been an overload of stress - but after last nights incident, I keep myself walking, headed to the empty patients room at the end of the hall.

Shutting the door behind me, I take a deep breath. I don't even bother turning the lights on. I shuffle across the dark room before plopping down in the neatly made bed, letting out an audible groan as I relax. I hadn't realized how tired my body was until now.

I kick off my keds and wriggle my way beneath the blankets, curling up in a little ball as my eyes land on a dull landscape painting.

I've been so busy running around doing everything and anything that I hadn't had time to really think about last night, which is both a blessing and a curse. It's great because I've kept myself from thinking myself into a panic attack, as I had last night, keeping myself up, but at the same time, I need to figure things out, and soon. I can't avoid Liam forever, nor do I want to.