chapter twenty-five // take off.

ellie's pov

Louis helps carry my suitcase down the stairs as we head to my car. I go over my mental list a few more times, making sure I hadn't forgotten anything. It's been awhile since I've been on vacation, and it's the first time I'm traveling alone as an adult. I was actually a little nervous. 

The other two have been living out of their suitcases for the past month, so it didn't take them nearly as long to pack yesterday. I was running around completely insane for a few hours. I even dragged Mia with me to the store so I could stock up on travel sized shampoos and conditioners, no matter how much she assured me I could borrow hers. 

As I drive to the hospital, my nerves intensify. Though they weren't entirely bad nerves. I couldn't help but to be a little excited as well. I'm going to be able to see Liam in his hometown. I'll see where he grew up and his old bedroom and baby pictures. All things I've been curious about, but always thought they were mere fantasy. 

I pull into the parking ramp, going up more floors than usual, until I'm nearly to the top level. There waiting for us is an incredibly large black bus equipped with tinted windows for maximum security. Though I was a few minutes early, the rest of the group was already waiting outside of the bus, having their suitcases stowed beneath the bus. 

Dr. Frenette stands behind Liam, gripping the handles of his wheelchair tightly as I park my car. Louis and Mia talk excitedly with the other boys as they help me empty my trunk. I felt so odd in my normal clothes, considering I can count on one hand the number of times they have seen me not in my hospital scrubs. 

It makes the whole ordeal feel way more personal. I quickly shuffle over to Dr. Frenette after helping pack up the bus. He directs Liam to the back of the bus, where there is a wheelchair lift being lowered for him. Liam gives me a small smile before wheeling in that direction, leaving Dr. Frenette and I alone. 

"Now, you know what you're doing, Ellie. I helped pack the bus with anything you may need both equipment and medicine wise. I have binders with all his information in it incase you forget, though I find that unlikely," He gives me a smile, giving me a quick rundown. 

My nerves continue to build as I stand next to Dr. Frenette, my hands shoved into the pockets of my heavy winter coat. I'm flattered by his vote of confidence, but I can't help but to be nervous that it isn't entirely sincere. 

Why would he send me away on vacation with Liam after the discussion we had in his office? It just makes no sense. 

"I also sent extensive orders to the doctors there, but do you have any pressing questions?" He asks me, breathing onto his hands to keep them warm from the chilly Chicago morning. 

My brain works quickly to go over everything in my head. Strangely enough, I felt prepared. I can't remember the last time I felt completely prepared. It made me feel actually more nervous than assured. 

"Not that I can think of," I shake my head, looking up to him with a nervous expression, just waiting for him to pull me off of the case due to being so ill-prepared. 

But instead he just smiles and nods in response, turning his attention to watch Liam's management get their bus loaded with everything and everyone. The two of us sit in silence as Liam is lifted up into the bus by the wheelchair lift towards the end of the bus. 

Everyone begins to board, letting me know I should follow suit. I get one step forward before Dr. Frenette calls out my name, stopping me. 

"Ellie, I know you're more than capable handling this as a doctor," He begins, using an incredibly serious tone, speaking soft enough that no one else could hear us, "But I'm sure you understand where my concern comes from."