Stages: Part Two

A/N: Dedicated to: @VictoriaRobinson556

{**}
1 Week...

The midwife is offering to take care of Ariana for the next couple of night. You can see her throughout the day, but Temper.... You need sleep. We both need sleep, Snake Eyes signed.

"I know," Temper said, rubbing her hands down her face. "I know." She looked down into the crib to their beautiful baby girl. "But it's fine now, she's finally asle-"

Temper was interrupted by the too familiar wails of the small child. "Go get the midwife."

{**}

"Everything checks out?" Temper asked.

"Now, yes. Unfortunately, due to the complications during delivery, you will not be able to have any more children," the doctor told her.

"I see. Thank you for your time," Temper said, shaking the other woman's hand.

When she got back to the clans, she dropped by the nursery and picked up Ariana.

She was surprised to see that Snake Eyes was not in their room, but her mother was, sitting on the bed.

"I was hoping to catch you alone," her mother spoke softly, looking to the baby in her daughter's arms. "The matter at hand is quite a delicate one."

"Snake Eyes should be here soon and if you wanted to talk alone, you could have set up a meeting," Temper said, setting the child in the crib.

"I'd prefer an even more private setting. Like I said before, delicate matters."

"Then start talking," Temper said, arranging the miscellaneous papers on the desk.

"In raising you children, I had to make very difficult decisions of who would come into power should anything happen to me. I had chosen my eldest according to tradition. And when you were born, the thirteenth of my children, I knew that choosing you would cause controversy. Not only far from the first born, but yet another female to take the title."

"And times are changing. Women are coming into power. If you see a problem with Ariana being a girl-"

"No, nothing like that. A child between you and Snake Eyes will no doubt be just as strong as her parents. But you were strong, and you had even stronger enemies even from your older siblings."

"I overcame them," Temper stated, choosing to sit down at the desk chair. "Please, mother, if you have a point."

"You overcame them when you were able to, but I set up precautions in place to keep you protected. I put you under the tutelage of my own sword-brother. I made sure Jason, your sword-brother was sworn first and foremost to you. To place you above even his own clan- his own wife. And I made him swear Snake Eyes into oath. To put you above all else and understand that he bows to you as his grand master before you hold him up as your husband. Raising Ariana this close to you and training her yourselves can set her up for failure- as a target."

"You suggest she be raised by Jason?"

"I suggest you remember the protection you had when assassins were sent after you. That they didn't get us both because we lived separately."

"I remember the first time I was kidnapped. I remember getting out of my restraints and beating one of my attackers. Did I have help? Of course. But I was trained. And we'll train our daughter. You will not persuade me otherwise."

Snake Eyes walked into the room then and, sensing the slight tension, moved over to the side of his wife.

"I guess I'll be going then. I hope to see you later," her mother said, nodding to both of them and leaving before anything else could be said.

Do I want to know?

"She thinks Ariana is best suiting being raised like I was. And I disagree. I want to raise her ourselves. Train her ourselves. She belongs with us."

Then she'll stay with us. I'll admit, your mother did approach the subject with me earlier.

"And I'll admit," Temper took a breath, looking to the floor. She looked to him and opened her mouth to speak, but nothing came out.

Snake Eyes placed a hand on her cheek and lowered himself to come face to face with her. He moved his thumb to wipe away a stray tear.

"I went to go see a doctor today," she whispered, looking away.

Is Ariana okay?

"She's fine," Temper said, smiling and nodding. "She's doing perfect. It's just that we'll never get another chance like her. With everything that happened after she was delivered and all the blood and medical stuff they had to do. I just... I can't have any more children. And I'm so sorry."

Temper reached up and wiped away her tears forcing herself to breath evenly despite the sobs coming up. Snake Eyes could do nothing but pick her up and hold her as he moved them to the bed.

He set her down to face him and waited for her to calm down.

I want to get one thing straight with you. We are absolutely raising Ariana ourselves. And I don't care if we just have Ariana or adopt all the orphans in our clans- Temper let out a slight chuckle - you and Ariana are the most important people to me. I would never think less of you or be angry with you for not being able to bear any more children. I just want you to be happy and I want you and Ariana to be safe. I will do anything to make that happen. I love you.

"I love you as well," she said, reaching for his hand. "Now, about those orphans."

Snake Eyes smiled and pinched her side.

"Ow, I'm being serious," she said, pushing him away without much force.