Ninja Girlfriend: Part 3

A/N:

This is dedicated to Dakensister

Thanks for the request!

Also, this is kind of a continuation of All Fall Down (the previous chapter).

{**}

Hospital sounds.

The beeping of machines.

Wheels rolling against the ground.

Sensible shoes hitting the tiled floor.

She couldn't sleep. Those sounds kept her up at night. Even when she was surrounded by the emptiness of her bedroom.

The Alpha Team had the unproductive job of watching over her. They'd come in, make sure she was getting the basics. Food, sleep, going to the bathroom, basic hygiene. She'd either lie and they'd believe it or they forced her to her room. She'd just slip out and go back to the medical wing.

"Damn slippery ninjas," she'd hear Heavy Duty mutter.

The waiting room. No one talked to her. The nurses knew why she was there.

Surgery, then they had to wait before they allowed anyone into the room.

She just wanted to see him. Doc hadn't even come by yet.

It felt like limbo. Nothing to do. Just eternal waiting.

The Alpha Team came by again with Hawk leading the way. He spared a glance and hint of sympathy and sadness, but kept walking on down the hallway. He wasn't stuck in limbo, he had something to do.

The Alpha Team members took their seats. Scarlett and Jaye flanked her in the hospital chairs.

"They haven't come and said anything?" Scarlett asked.

Temper didn't look at anyone, just at her lap. Arms crossed, knees up to her chin. She shook her head.

"No, nothing," she whispered.

She finally looked up when she noticed Doc enter the room. A sudden nervousness pumped through her system. It moved her forward to stand up, the rest of the Alpha Team standing with her.

"He should make a full recovery," Doc said.

The all breathed a sigh of relief, but Temper was still holding hers.

"When can I see him?" Temper asked.

They took notice of his slight hesitance and the shift of his gaze.

"Well, he hasn't woken up yet... and with surgery we had to remove his mask... and I'm not sure he'd be comfortable.... Besides, protocol mandates that only family members can-"

"I'm his wife," she interrupted. She said it so low they almost didn't catch it.

The looks of surprise were all shared among the room, with the exception of two.

"I can confirm this," Hawk said, nodding his head once towards the distraught female.

She gave him a small smile, the first in a while.

"Alright then, come this way," Doc said, getting over the momentary shock and leading the way to a hospital room with ten bed.

There was less noise in this room. Ten beds in total, only one was being used. It was the farthest bed to the wall and completely enclosed by a blue curtain.

"I will come by every once while to check up on him," Doc said.

"Thank you," she said, keeping her focus on the blue curtain.

The opening and closing of the door signaled Doc's departure.

She once again found herself with tears in her eyes as she made her way to the bed and moved the curtain to him.

She wished she would stop crying. She wished she could be strong. But, she also wished she didn't have to be strong. She wished she could be weak. She wanted Snake Eyes to be strong.

To hold her while she was violently sobbing in the single chair next to his bed.

{**}

It took a few hours.

The tears had stopped though she could guess she looked as though she had been crying.

Doc was the only one in the room and he came in again when Snake Eyes woke up.

She only left his side when Roadblock came by and Snake Eyes begged her to go eat and take care of herself.

She did, but it took a little persistence.

She ate quickly and showered even quicker. The food was begging to be brought back up.

She wasn't sure if it was because her stomach wasn't used to food being eaten that fast or if it was because she was so nervous.

She was back in less than twenty minutes. Hair barely dried and up in a ponytail while she herself looked positively ill.

Roadblock took his leave, though it seemed as though he was going to reprimand her before he decided against it.

Roadblock said you fought Storm Shadow, Snake Eyes signed when she sat down again. He said you beat him.

"I wasn't sure if he was going to truly make sure you were dead," she said.

You beat him way beyond submission. Did you kill him?

"I'm not really sure," she said. "I just saw you there and I-I...."

Tears came back and he beckoned her onto the bed with him.

This is what she needed. What she craved. To be able to be weak without consequences. Without being punished or reprimanded. To be in his arms.

She was mindful of his injuries as she curled up beside him.

The best part was, he was weak as well. Physically and mentally weak with the past few days catching up to him and the wound in his side making his abdomen ache.

They were both weak. But they were together. Alone.