Traveling Soldier

A/N: This is an AU. They are a lot closer in age for this one-shot than they are in the other stories. And Snake Eyes can speak so think of this as pre-accident.
{**}

Smell of grease and burgers wafted through the air after the bell on top the door rang out.

"Welcome to the Springs Diner," the employees yelled out.

"Sit anywhere you like," the chef called out.

The man took a seat in a nearby booth and shoved his bag under the bench.

After a few minutes, a girl not much younger than him came around and set a menu and silverware before him.

"Can I get you something to drink?"

"Water is fine," he answered, keeping his head down and looking to his menu.

"Alright. I'll come back in a few minutes to get your order," she said, turning and walking to the kitchen. 

He looked her retreated form and noticed the white blonde hair pulled back with a bow.

The next time she came around he had is order ready and she disappeared again.

That left him to look around to the scarce patrons.

A truck driver with an almost empty pot of coffee. The elderly couple sitting a table and laughing with each other.

The walls were adorned with memorabilia and pictures of famous people.

His eyes landed on the poster advertising for soldiers needed for the war.

"Here you go," she said, setting down a plate of food. "Anything else?"

He shook his head and picked up his silverware, sparing a glance to her name tags before she walked away.

Temper.

He smirked at the implication of a name like that and was momentarily distracted before his eyes landed back on the poster, then to his food.

His stomach rolled at the thought of eating it, but it looked a lot more appetizing than the rations the military advertised.

"Is everything okay?" Temper asked, coming to the edge of the table.

"Uh, yeah," he forced out. She gave him a weak smile and started to turn before he spoke again. "Would you mind sittin' down for a while and talking to me? I'm feeling a little lonely."

"Eat your eggs, soldier. I'm off in an hour and I know where we can go," she said, smirking and turning to walk back behind the counter to serve the other customers.

His stomach settled enough to force the food down, but he took his time until the hour was up and Temper stripped off her diner apron.

So, they walked in silence to the pier and she sat down at the edge, allowing her feet to dangle over the water below.

He followed suit, and she questioned him immediately after he sat down, "I forgot to ask, what's your name?"

"They call me Snake Eyes," he said, looking to her apprehensively.

"That's all you're going to give me?" Temper questioned.