chapter 21

Mitch and I sit at our work desks, and it's just hit eight o'clock. The time Mike gets up when he doesn't have any plans. Mitch is doing the rest of the work I hadn't finished for him, but I am barely making any progress. 

All I can think about is hurting Mike. 

Feeling is blood under my knuckles, getting justice for my mother. He murdered her. He deserves to feel pain. Hearing his bones crack under me, listening to him yell at me, seeing him helpless as I beat him to a pulp.

But I could never actually do that. The tables would be turned. The anger that boils underneath my skin needs to be released. I need to hurt someone. It can't be Mitch. 

I'd never be capable of hurting him.

I can't hurt Sonny or Ruben, they are gone for the day.

I can't hurt myself, for that just gets me back to square one. 

I would take a lot of nerve to hurt Mike. Good thing I have that.

...

I excuse myself from my work and tell Mitch I've got to use the bathroom. I see Mike sitting at the kitchen table, drinking coffee and reading the newspaper like a normal person. My eyes narrow as he looks at me.

"Morning." Mike grumbles, turning the page of his paper. I don't say anything, I just step towards him. 

"What's your problem?" He asks, looking straight in my eyes. The words build inside me, but I can't let them out. The second that these words are said, nothing will be the same. 

Mitch and I would never be as close.

Mike would abandon me. I'd have nowhere to go.

I don't know what I'm going to do. 

Thanks for reading! I know the chapters have gotten shorter, but I'm trying to fit in more chapters, because once something certain happens it goes downhill super fast. I am also thinking of doing two different endings, but I'm not sure. Stay f'cute!

~Cassie :)