28. ultimatum

June managed to get out of bed only after another day, even if the doctors said she shouldn't have moved until her ribs started healing. She didn't care, though, since she needed to see how Gwen was doing, and convinced Peter to take her only after a small discussion.

She was put on a wheelchair and, after her parents had fallen asleep in June's room, they headed to Gwen's.

The blonde wasn't looking any better than June, but what made the girl wince in discomfort were Gwen's parents, standing by her bed with dull looks, eventually letting out small sighs.

"What happened?" June asked to Peter, while the two were observing the scene from outside. They didn't want to disturb Gwen's parents and, in all honesty, June felt too guilty to even look at the girl for too long.

"She was going back from school. It was just one of them, apparently, but he beat her up quite badly. I don't think there was a reason behind it, though. As Cecilia said, they're probably giving up on their animal side, completely unstopped by any type of rational restriction. They aim to kill and hurt, and if something gets in the way, they kill it, too."

"That's why they attacked us. They see us as a threat."

Peter simply nodded, too deep in thoughts to even say something. He wasn't going to say it to June, but he had stopped just a few hours before to freak out. Seeing June being thrown around like a rag doll and not being able to do anything about it had made him feel utterly useless. He had always felt invincible, knowing that his powers allowed him to protect her against everything, when her powers tired her too much. And not being able to do anything had put him in a state of depression that not even June's awakening had eased.

"Peter?"

"Hmm?" the boy looked down at the girl, whose voice had awakened him from his thoughts.

"I asked you if we want to go back. I think we've been here enough," she chuckled, her head thrown backwards so that her eyes met his. He nodded after a moment, leaning down to give her a gentle kiss on the lips before taking her back into her room. She slowly stood up and lied down on the bed with his help, still tightly holding his hand.

"Do you want to sleep with me?" she suddenly asked while he was heading towards a chair where he was planning to sleep in. He didn't even think about it as he moved back to the bed, carefully lying down behind her and wrapping an arm around her waist, his face nuzzled in her hair as he sighed in relief.

"I love you, June," he muttered, his head already drifting into unconsciousness.

"I love you too, Pete."

-

"Woah, kiddo, you look like shit."

June snorted loudly at Tony's comment, crossing her legs on the bed. He had been informed about the situation by Peter, who hadn't left June's side in days. Heather and Bruce didn't seem to enjoy the situation too much, but the boy was adamant on leaving her, and there was nothing they could do, since Aunt May didn't do anything to convince him to go back home.

Simon had been visiting every once in a while, shifting between June and Gwen, who hadn't woken up yet, but her body was giving signs of a quick recovery. Simon had looked even more distant than he normally was, but too many problems were bugging the teenagers to even notice it.

They were now standing all in June's room, who had recovered enough to talk about it without shuddering at the single thought of it.

"Thanks, it's always a pleasure," she grinned, turning towards Peter when he stood up from his seat to reach her and sit down next to her.