15. other planets

June had opted for the abandoned park a few miles away from her house when she had realized she couldn't go home just yet. She would spend entire hours there, when she didn't feel like talking to anyone, exercise with her powers or both.

She was sitting on the swing, rocking back and forth with her legs while looking in front of herself, her phone in her hands. She really needed to talk to someone, and she knew who that someone had to be, but there was no way she could call him and, anyway, after three entire months of silence he wasn't just going to appear there and listen to her problems as if nothing had happened.

Still, she decided to turn her phone on again to check how many missed calls she had and if he had left some messages. He didn't but, after she had turned her phone off, Peter had called ten times before giving up.

She stared at the phone intently, as if by doing that Peter would understand she was willing to talk and would reach her. She missed him, in that moment more than ever, but it was selfish of her to admit it only when she needed him for comfort, so she tried to shake those feelings off and placed the phone back in her pocket, taking a deep breath.

It was only after another hour of staring into nothingness that something happened. She turned to her left when she heard the sound of tires screeching on the grass and looked unemotionally as Peter walked out of the bike and jumped the fence of the park, storming towards her with a pissed expression.

"Was it you?!" he almost yelled, tightly clenching his fists.

"Yes," she replied.

"Did you save those students this-" he stopped when he realized she had already answered and his expression softened, letting out a deep breath.

"Are you alright?" he asked, all signs of anger completely disappeared.

June widened her arms. "I'm here and I'm still eighteen, so yeah, I'm alright."

Peter relaxed even more and unclenched his fists, moving towards the swing next to June's and sitting down on it.

The two of them remained in complete silence for what seemed like eternity, but June wasn't feeling awkward or uncomfortable. She wouldn't admit it to him, but she had dearly missed him and having him next to her, even without saying a word, was enough for her.

"I miss going on missions with you."

It would have been better if he stuck with not saying anything. "I'm not coming back, Peter."

"But why not?" he asked, turning towards June. The girl sighed, not daring to look at him.

"Why can't you understand? Did you really spend three months only thinking about the fact that I'm not going on missions with you?"

"No, of course not-"

"But that's exactly what you did, Peter! Because that's all you ever did! I know I have fed you with this idea that I would follow you everywhere, but that's not who I am anymore! And I'm sorry, but if you keep worrying only about that and don't stop for a moment to think how I felt this whole time then it's been a pleasure to know you."

June stood up and stomped away from Peter, wishing he would stop her, but he didn't.

Not knowing where else to go and with tears treacherously falling down her cheeks that made her look like her face had become a balloon, June knew she had to go home and deal with her mother's fury. Acknowledging that, June took a deep breath, cleaned her tear-stained cheeks and made her way home, crossing the small patio that led to the main door and walked inside, ready to face her mother.