14. soulmates

"What the hell?" June asked, her eyes wide in anguish. She looked around herself, but time was still stopped and Simon was moving. She was starting to feel tired, but the confusion had completely overtaken it.

"What-" Simon started to say but, when he noticed the situation he was in and he finally took notice of June being there with him, he relaxed his shoulders. "Oh."

"Oh? All you can say is 'oh'?" she exclaimed loudly, raising her arms in the air.

"No, I- well, I'm confused, but... what is going on?"

"I don't know, you tell me," June sassed, placing her hands on her hips. For some awkward reason, being physically close to Simon was strengthening her.

"Why are you in my world?"

"Excuse me?! You are in my world! Wait- do you have the same powers as I do?" June knew she should have been more shocked than she was, but for some reason she just couldn't feel anything particularly strong. Yeah, it was weird to find someone else with her same powers, but that was it.

"Seems like it," Simon chuckled, taking off his headphones and walking closer to her. "How long?" he asked, as if it was the most normal thing in the world

"W-what?" she asked, finding that she couldn't walk properly.

"How long have you been having them?"

"A few years," she stated with an almost inaudible tone, gently pushing him away from her.

"Really?" he asked, sounding excited. June smiled and patted him on the chest, walking around him after she looked at all the students that were still in danger.

"I seriously think we should talk about all of this, but not now. I have an unfinished business," she mumbled, turning her head towards the car that was going to cause a tremendous accident.

"Yeah, I see it. That's a good way of using them, good job," Simon stated, patting June on the shoulder before walking towards the students, helping her to move them towards a safe place. After they were all moved, June followed Simon towards the car and reached the door of the driver, immediately opening it.

The look on the drivers' face was absolutely terrifying, and it made June's spine shiver in fear. She looked down on the pedals the driver was pushing with his feet and noticed a toy was blocking the accelerator pedal from being raised to stop the car. Only in that moment, June raised her head to spot a kid in the backseat of the car, his eyes wide in terror while he was tightly gripping two car toys in his tiny hands. The third would have been the cause of their deaths.

"There's a kid in here," she breathed out, her eyes wide. Simon turned towards her and his eyes saddened.

"You arrived just in time."

June quickly removed the toy from the pedal as her muscles screamed her for mercy. She was almost feeling like fainting, but not quick enough for her to do one last thing. She closed the door of the car and walked towards the backseat, opening it to grab the kid and drag him out of the car. She would have taken the driver as well, but he was supposed to stop the car from crashing and she had made sure no one was close enough to get hit.

She left the kid next to all the students a few seconds before she collapsed on the ground. Simon crouched down next to her and placed both his hands on her cheeks, making her look at him.

"Breathe. This is the easiest part," he assured her while her powers were completely unleashed from the grip she had them on and they made time restart at its usual pace, the car eventually going to a stop as the driver frantically tried to stop it. A few yells that June had stopped just in time erupted from students around her, but stopped as soon as the people who seemed to be surely hit appeared next to them, looking around themselves with panicked expressions.