17. gut feeling

June and Peter decided to take a walk, even if the weather was extremely cold and the wind was blowing loudly.

The two hid their faces behind big scarves and covered their heads with their jacket's hoods before walking out of the house, after June had made sure her father knew about it.

They started to walk and both chuckled when June almost tripped on the frozen stairs.

"You okay?" Peter asked, his lips still turned into a smile. June nodded and placed a hand on his shoulder to take the last steps, then put the hand in the pocket of her jacket.

"Is it going to snow?" June turned her heads towards the sky and breathed out a cloud of breath.

"Probably," she replied. "The sky's clouded."

"Come on." Peter moved his head to the side and they started walking on the sidewalk, not even asking each other where they were planning on going. Not that it mattered at all, since they only needed each other's presence for the moment.

"I'm sorry for getting so mad at you, June," Peter muttered, turning towards June to notice she was shaking her head.

"Don't," she said, stopping on her tracks. "We've both been incredible idiots, and I'll kick you if you say sorry one more time."

"I was the one who overreacted-" Peter completely ignored her words, but stopped talking after he looked closely at June's expression. She was going to reply, and she wanted him to understand.

"We're not going anywhere if we keep acting like this."

June stopped as well, furrowing her eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

Peter puffed out air, looking closely at his friends.

"I think the fight in Germany changed us more than we expected, and not in the positive way I thought it would. It made me ever more reckless, and I stopped caring about anything that wasn't my alter ego. What happened to you scarred you deeply, and you decided to shut down an important part of you for as long as you wanted. We're not acting like ourselves, and that's because we want to go back to how we were before that fight, but we can't."

June remained silent, thinking about what Peter had said. It made sense, somehow. Deep down, June would have loved to go back to missions, since they were the most exciting part of her day, even if she would openly say she hated it. She had realized it after spending entire weeks doing nothing but studying and lying in bed to look at nothing in particular. But she wanted to go back to how it was when they were just playing, having fun punching bad guys. When she didn't know what the risks of using her powers too much were, and when Peter didn't almost get killed.

"Did you really become more reckless?" she asked, trying not to make any feeling be evident from her expression. She wanted to understand his point of view clearly, before giving him any personal opinion.

Peter nodded, hiding his face more behind the scarf. "You were the one who would make my feet remain on the ground. I've always wanted to give my powers full potential, and without you I had started doing just that, and it got awful. I stopped planning missions, I would just show myself and hope no one would put up some trick to kick my ass. Then Tony arrived, and things got slightly better."

June stared at him, waiting for him to continue. She really didn't know how to feel about the situation.

"But I knew how you were feeling about the situation. I had understood your point of view, and when I tried to talk to you and you pushed me away, I understood it as well. I wasn't expecting anything from you, but then you used your powers to save those students and I just kind of freaked out. I didn't know what had happened, if you had actually got stuck in your world for I don't know how many years, and I just vented it out on you, but I should have done the complete opposite."