27. murphy's law.

June let out a groan of frustration as strands of hair fell on her face, a hand vehemently messing them as she wiggled on her seat in an attempt to free herself from the sudden attack.

Gwen appeared from behind her, sitting down on her seat with a small jump, crossing her legs as she turned completely towards her.

"Hey, September, why did you ditch me yesterday?" she exclaimed. June rolled her eyes and turned towards her friend as well, resting her chin on her hand.

"I didn't ditch you, dumbass, I told you I had plans with Peter;" she replied, not even bothering not get angry at Gwen's new hobby of calling her with all the name of the months, apart from the one her parents had so dearly decided to give her.

"Oh, right, Peter. He still owes me three pens, by the way."

"You'll never have them back."

Gwen snorted, composing herself on the seat when the teacher made her way into the class. It was incredible how closer the two girls had gotten, and how understanding the blonde had become of the blooming relationship between her friend and her ex boyfriend. She had apparently completely gotten over him, and now she was just rooting for June, basically forcing her to make things official between them before she got so old she wouldn't be able to listen anymore.

"The party basically turned into a treasure hunt. Melissa was freaking out so much about her phone that we all started looking around the house for it, but the idiot obviously had left it at home and realized it only when we all had lost every liter of alcohol in our bodies. I hate Melissa."

June scoffed loudly, shrugging her shoulders. "You know she's a drama queen. Why even inviting her?!"

Gwen widened her eyes as if June had just said the worst of profanities. "You don't discriminate when it comes to inviting people for a party. Everyone's accepted, as long as they don't destroy your house."

Gwen had literally become a breath of fresh air for June. She was the only non-superhero person she had managed to become friend with, and Gwen had realized June wasn't as bad as she thought she was, which lead them to become very good friends without even realizing it. June had managed to discover a part of herself she didn't even know existed anymore, which was the part of her that didn't give two shits about telling other people her honest opinion, turning out to be sassiest than she thought she could ever be.

It was mainly due to tiredness, too. When she was exhausted, she couldn't even find the strength to lie or panic about saying the honest truth, and that was exactly what she had done since she had accepted to help Cecilia Lopez.

Simon had been terribly against it, not even bearing the thought of any of them getting close to the clinic after June had told him what was happening there, with all the patients turning into beasts out of any control. Peter, on the other side, had been surprisingly understanding, simply saying that if June thought it was the right thing to do, there was no way for him to interfere, which he would have done if he was completely against it. He wasn't, thought, as long as it meant June was getting out of there without a single scratch on her skin. That was the main reason why she had decided to partially lie about her constant tiredness due to hours and hours of lying in the MRI machine with lasers attentively studying her brain cells to find out something that could have helped the patients.

She had no idea of what was making her so tired, and Cecilia wasn't much of a help either, simply addressing the cause to the massive exposure to lasers, and June was too eager to finish that month of visits to even begin to express doubts about what they were doing to her. As soon as it was over, she was just going to walk away from that clinic and never go back, knowing she had done everything she could to help.