18. ghost

June's uneasiness only worsened with days. Even the thought of going to that party wasn't as scary as what she was feeling inside of her, which she couldn't link to anything. She decided against telling Peter or Simon, since she had no idea of what it was, and it could only have been stress interfering with her normal physical habitués.

Still, while getting ready, June thought she was going to faint at any moment. She had thought about not going, but staying home was only going to worsen her thoughts, and that was the last thing she wanted.

"You ready? Simon's waiting for you," Bruce appeared by her door, scanning his daughter with a smile. "You're beautiful," he muttered, placing his hands on her shoulders and giving her a kiss on the forehead.

"It's only a party, dad," June joked, even if her voice seemed too serious for a joke.

"You never go to parties, sweetheart," he said. June was used to his dad's serious faces as he told a joke that was so true that wasn't funny. But she smiled anyway, because her father managed to put a smile on her face without even trying.

While walking down the stairs, June turned to look at her parents' room, where her mother had closed herself to rest and hadn't showed up even for a second. It was ok to avoid her, but it was getting too much, and June was starting to get worried that something bad had happened to her while she was away.

June quickly waved to her father and wore her coat while Simon waited for her by the door. The two of them walked down the few steps and Simon stopped in front of his bike, his expression embarrassed.

"I, um- kind of don't have a car," he mumbled, rubbing the back of his neck. "You can sit here."

He signaled the small place behind the saddle, hoping June wouldn't complain, and she didn't seem too fazed by it. She actually seemed on another planet only with her mind, but he brushed it off, thinking it was due to nervousness about the party.

June sat down and secured her arms around Simon's waist, not feeling the slight amount of embarrassment. She rested her forehead on his back and closed her eyes, hoping that the cold breeze would wake her up and make her feel better.

-

June didn't know Simon was so good at dancing. The new generation of teenagers don't really need many complex moves, and all that is needed is for them to move around with their hips and pump their fists in the air every once in a while, but there was still a way to see who was good at it and who wasn't, and Simon definitely was.

June, on the other hand, would move around as if her back had been taped to a broom, but it was mainly due to her thoughts haunting her. After relaxing a bit, she had actually started enjoying the music and Simon's presence, who was soothing her over-thinking mind.

They met a few other people and even Peter and Gwen, even if the two of them didn't seem as excited as they were the days before. Peter was touching her the least possible, and Gwen looked as if she had just cried.

"Enjoying the party?" Peter asked with a forced smile. June furrowed her eyebrows and tried to send him a silent question, but he just shook his head.

"It's great," Simon replied, noticing the tension between the small group.

"I'm gonna get something to drink," Gwen stated all of a sudden, not even trying to put up a smile as she walked away from the group.

"Me too," June said almost immediately, without even thinking of what to say to her. Peter seemed surprised too, but didn't say anything as June walked away, spotting Gwen in the sea of teenagers.