22. midnight sun

"Oh my God!"

June jumped back, her head wincing. Aunt May had placed a hand on her heart while her scream was still lingering in the back of her head.

"What happened to you?!" she exclaimed, reaching the teenager and carefully placing her fingers on June's injured head, the touch making her wince again.

"It's nothing, I got into a fight with a few kids. Is Peter home?" June mumbled, gently moving May's hand from her head.

"You have to go to the hospital, honey. I'm not letting you walk over it," the woman said peremptorily. While she walked inside and June slowly followed, Peter appeared out of his room, his eyes immediately widening when they landed on June's hurt appearance.

"What happened?" he exclaimed in the same way Aunt May just did. He repeated her same actions, but this time June didn't push his hand away. She let him run them through her temple, careful not to touch the injury, and she closed her eyes for a moment, sighing heavily.

"I'll tell you later. I think Aunt May won't leave me alone until she makes sure I'm okay."

Peter nodded, caressing her cheek before Aunt May appeared with a coat on and the car keys in one hand.

"I'm ready, let's go."

"There really is no need to-"

"Shut up."

Peter couldn't help but chuckle, while June just rolled her eyes and followed the two outside, slightly leaning on Peter, for a psychological support more than anything else..

She didn't think Aunt May could ever be a careless driver, completely ignoring the red lights and surpassing cars as if she was racing against them. In the backseat, June could sense Peter's uneasiness due to not knowing what had happened, but she was feeling just as uneasy, wanting to tell him everything in hope to remove some of the weight off of her shoulders.

They got to the hospital in record time, a nurse immediately dragging June in a room to check her while Peter and Aunt May remained outside, sitting down on the uncomfortable chairs and letting out a breath they both had been holding during the whole ride.

-

June appeared from the room after half a hour, her head bandaged and a tired smile on her face.

Peter shot up as soon as he noticed her, but June completely ignored him when she noticed who was standing next to him.

"What are you doing here?!" June exclaimed, the tone of her voice making her head pound loudly. Bruce sat up as well, his expression full of worry.

"Aunt May called me. I just wanted to make sure you were okay," he muttered, doing his best not to sound desperate.

"Well, I am, you can leave now."

The little discussion was stopped when the nurse cleared her throat, catching their attention. Aunt May and June's father walked away from the teenagers, talking to the nurse while June and Peter sat down, making sure they were far away enough for the adults not to hear them.

"Another concussion?" Peter asked, his eyebrows furrowed.

"Seems like it. I just love them."

Peter scoffed, crossing his arms.

"Someone attacked me, Peter." June massaged her forehead over the bandages while Peter tried to process the information.

"Did you see who it was?" he asked, and June nodded.