24. shortcuts

After Simon had stormed off, his feelings too strong for him to answer to June in any coherent way, the other three slowly decided to make their way home, since their little trip had taken more than they had expected, and it was already afternoon.

Peter and June decided to bring Gwen home first, simply to make sure she wasn't too freaked out by what had happened. Surprisingly, the blonde was handling everything way better than they did, which was another proof of how strong minded Gwen was, even if she didn't really like to show it to others.

Gwen awkwardly waved at the two of them, when they reached her house, and quickly got in, slamming the door behind her. They hadn't talked much, but it was obvious that the blonde had decided that things between them were cool, and that she didn't hate Peter as much as she said she did.

"Well, guess we're going home," Peter mumbled after a while, stuffing his hands in the pockets of his jeans as he waited for June. The girl nodded absentmindedly and easily followed Peter's pace, looking down at her feet.

"I thought you were going to bite Simon's head off at some point," Peter suddenly stated, making June scoff.

"I was thinking about it. I might have overreacted, but the way he dragged us out of the clinic... I don't know, I felt like he was trying to hide something, as if he wanted to protect Cecilia's secret. If something is really wrong with that clinic, like he himself said, then his father's in danger too. What's wrong with that kid?"

"I don't think you would think that straight if your parents were risking their lives and only one person seems competent enough to help them."

"Well, considering the things they kept from me-"

"Come on, June," Peter cut her off, making her purse her lips. "don't try to act as if you don't care about them anymore. They hurt you, but they gave you a reason, and as much as it bothers you, you should accept it. I made the same mistake with Uncle Ben, and look where it got me."

June looked towards Peter, whose eyes were looking at nothing in particular, and sighed in defeat. "I know, you're right."

"Come on," Peter grabbed her shoulder, pushing her towards a shortcut they would usually take when going back from school without their bikes.

They only took a few steps forward, before the shadow of three massive figures made them avert their eyes from the ground to the front. Three muscular people, two men and a woman, were standing still in front of them, their eyes fixated on them as they were tightly clenching their fists.

"Keep walking," Peter whispered to her, already catching up with what June had thought. She barely nodded, keeping her eyes on the two figures as they kept walking, taking one careful step over another.

Before the two of them could make up a proper plan, the woman threw herself against Peter while the man grabbed June by the neck, slamming her back against the wall.

She felt an excruciating pain on the back of her neck as she slid down the wall, trying to look in front of her and understand what was happening. Peter was fighting one of the men, but the woman kept getting in the way, making it almost impossible for him to fight back. It was an unfair fight, which meant June had to do something about it.

When one of them threw Peter against the wall much like they did with her, June didn't even manage to let out a cry as she stopped time, not even bothering to check if everything was under control as she stood up, ignoring the pain in her head.

Probably slightly expecting it, the two men kept moving as if nothing had happened. One of them reached Peter, immobilizing him on the ground as the other one reached June, grabbing her by the neck and raising her by the neck. June started gasping for air when her feet didn't reach the ground, her hands immediately shooting to the only one holding her neck, trying to scratch it with her nails in an attempt to hurt him.

"Unleash it," he exclaimed in a deep voice. There was not even a need to ask, since the forces left June's body so quickly that the power was unleashed on its own, the only thing that changed being Peter who tried to move out of the man's grasp.

"June!" he screamed, painfully moving his head towards her.

"It's useless for you to try and fight back, you'll soon be joining us," the man creepily said, but June's attention quickly moved somewhere else when she noticed Peter had managed to shoot a web in the man's face, whose hands left Peter's wrists to reach his own face.

"I will fight as long as I breathe," June stuttered, feeling her lungs collapsing as the man kept holding her in the air. She had to distract him until Peter was fully free, even if it meant that she would get hurt.

"No, you won't." The man snickered, but his grin quickly disappeared when he was hit on the back of his head. June tried to catch a glimpse of Peter, but failed when the grip on her neck loosened and she hit the ground, coughing roughly as one hand shot to her neck, carefully massaging it. She winced when the pain got too much to bear and tried to focus on something else to ignore it.

When she stopped hearing the sound of people fighting, her head snapped up, just in time to see Peter heading towards her with blood on his left eyebrow, before he gently grabbed her cheeks and crashed his lips against hers in a desperate kiss, leaning closer when she didn't push him away.

Their lips gently moved against each other, creating sparks inside their heads as the two teenagers almost forgot they had just been attacked and almost died. The pain in June's throat completely disappeared and Peter felt as if all his bruises were being healed by the beautiful girl in front of him.

"Holy shit," June breathed out when they broke the kiss to let air into their lungs.

"Are you ok?" Peter asked, ignoring what he had just done as if it was the most normal and obvious thing ever. He traced the bruise on June's neck with a finger, wincing when she did the same, then moved her head around to make sure there were no other injuries.

"I'm fine, don't worry. Are you?" she asked, finding enough courage to talk even if Peter's action had completely taken her off guard. Not that she didn't like it, but she definitely wasn't expecting for their first kiss to happen in such a situation.

"Yeah, I am."

"They weren't affected by my powers, Peter! I'm getting fucking tired of attackers not acknowledging my powers, I swear to God. Next time I'll bring guns, if that means they'll be scared of me."

Peter started laughing, moving a strand of hair behind her ear as he looked into her eyes.

"Don't worry, they will definitely have to be scared of us, after this."

OH my god FINALLYYYYYYY 

I had firstly planned for them to kiss like five chapters ago, but thought 'why not suffer a little more and make the sexual tension between them even more painful?!?!?' so here I am

I HOPE YOU ENJOYED THIS CHAPTER, BECAUSE I DEFINITELY DID