Chapter 5

Stiles waits anxiously by the door of the cafe. He is supposed to meet Derek here ten minutes ago but it seems that Derek is late.

Stiles bounces on his feet and looks around. People are walking along the side walks, not even sparing the boy a single glance. It's almost as if he isn't there to them. They're all in their own separate worlds.

Stiles jumps at the sudden hand on his shoulder. He shakes his head and says, "Sorry, I wasn't really expecting tha..."

He trails off as he looks up at the guy in front of him. He has dark black hair and hazel eyes, framed by amazing lashes. Stiles didn't expect Derek to look so...handsome.

"Stiles, right?" His voice gives Stiles goosebumps.

Stiles laughs nervously and nods. "That's me. As I promised, I will not make a dumb pun."

"Good. That's a real crime, pun-ishable by death." Derek emphasizes the pun in the word. Stiles looks at him with a shocked expression.

"Did you just make a pun?! Is that what I heard?"

"I did none of the sort." Derek walks into the coffee shop with Stiles following him.

"Okay you liar. As you know, that just gave you a death sentence."

"Hey, I never said I couldn't make puns. I just said you couldn't make a pun."

Stiles and Derek order their drinks and stand to the side while the barista makes them.

"Touché. Did you just come from work?"

"No actually. I had the day off so I was spending it working on this business project for my professor."

"Business major I take it?"

"Yeah, you?" Derek looks over at the barista as he puts Stiles' coffee on the counter. Stiles moves forward and grabs it.

"Pre-med major. I'm hoping to be a doctor in the emergency room."

Derek nods in approval. "What made you decide that?"

"Well, I just wanted to help people who are in need and really, the emergency room is a great place. Those people need attention quick, most of the time it being life or death. Just know I could help them makes me feel...happy I guess."

The barista puts Derek's cup on the counter and they both move to a table. It's right by a window and Stiles watches people mill about outside.

"What about you? Why did you choose business?"

"It's nothing as deep as yours. My family just owns their own business and I'm going to take it over one day."

"That's so cool!" Stiles grins, causing Derek to smile in return.

"Yeah, I guess it is."