Compromise

You squating beside your mother when she picked up the leaves falling. Your father watching you and your mother from the back, sometimes he looked elsewhere to find pretty flowers and directing your mother to go have a look.
"I'll go talk to dad"You mumbled to your mother. She tap your knee lightly and pulling herself up.

"Hey dad, I have something to tell you"You approached him.
"What?" He pursing his lips but he smiled gently. He lead you to follow your mother.

"My friend will be here in a minute, a man"You continued.
"Tell me are you having an affair?"He teased.

Your father is witty. His wit is never get along with situation. Sometimes when the conversation get serious he will talk wittily, and you often feel annoyed cause contrastly his definition about a serious matter is way different than most people.

"Its not like that, he's a new friend of mine~"
"What's wrong honey?"

You hesitate, peeking at your father reaction. Your father is crossing his arms behind his back, he looks non-chalant.

"Honestly he didn't know about my relationship with Jay~" You peeked your father reaction slightly.
He's still calm.

"And you know, its dangerous for Jay and for me of course. Its important to keep it secret just for view people about my being, do you get what i mean?"You stuterred.

"So what do you want me to do?" He raised his shoulders.
"I just want you to not mention anything about me and Jay when my friend's coming. That'll be so much help. I've talked to mom and she's okay with that"
"That's not a problem but let me ask you a question"

You furrowing, your father stopped his walk.

"How long are you planning to do this thing?"
"What? What is that thing"
"I saw you coming late last night, and the night before that. There's no doubt you were with that guy"

You started to boil.

"I thought I made myself clear about not giving my blessing to you two"

You looking elsewhere, just didn't believe your father talking like that out of the blue.

"Well I'm an old man, what could I do about your flaming passion and love. I hope that your relationship with him would end as quickly as possible. There's no future for you two and~"

"Dad" You cut his words.

"Are you seriously going to talk like this? You're so mean"You holding your breath, cause you can feel your anger creeping.

"Don't go out with that guy anymore, its risky"

"What do you mean by risky?" You snatched.

"Your heart and his work are risks. I don't want you to hurt yourself, you are my daughter"

"His work?"

"Yes do you think being a celebrity is how do you call it nowadays, cool?. Its not like that, its not compromising, its~"

"Like a soccer player?" You cut his words again. You know your words are way too harsh but you cant help it. Your father used to be a soccer player and way back he suffered from underestimation when he married your mother. That was why your mother had said that her marriage was once didn't get the blessing. You know your parents struggled untill they have a stable financial status after your father worked for the government. That way, people didn't underestimate him anymore.

"You've grown up young lady" Your father started to lose his patience.
There's a tension between you and him. Your mother is nowhere to seen.

"I just can't understand dad, why do you hate our relationship so much" You continued.
People passed you two.

"I was a soccer player thats true. That time as a soccer player we were paid so little, and I only joined the local team. But I enjoyed being a soccer player, so I didn't mind that. But I fell in love with your mother, and we got married. You know the story. They opposed our relationship, I received critiques and curses. It was hard at that moment, but I pulled myself."

"And I read your boyfriend's article. I started to understand this culture here, this spectator, the public. And I'm wondering about your position. I don't care if your boyfriend's got all the curses from dating you. It probably will come from his closest people or maybe when he did something terrible to you and it leak to public."

"My concern is you. You probably going to receive all the insults, curses from the public, his fans. People who don't even know your name. And its all about his job. I just can feel your mother's agony when she married me. Man supposed to be strong even when he receive curses and insult. But she is a fool to marry me when her family themselves alienated her."

Your tear dropped. You never thought that your father had this thoughts.

"Dad do you know that Jay once got insults, received curses and had to fly back to his hometown"
You continued.

"Yeah he did. You might have read it. Its a long story. In short he pulled himself together and flew back here, built his career from scratches, maintaining his position now. I love that man."

"I supposed to not fall for him but i do. If I might get hurt I will, I'm willing for that. Stop telling me to end our relationship cause I can't. And Jay is a fighter, just like you. Maybe mom's character lives in me. We love the fighter. "

You hugged your dad lightly, wiping your tears and walked away from him.