6: Pictures

Nicola remembered walking into Thalia's cabin to find pictures of her, Luke, and Annabeth, and Jason here and there.

Nicola had no pictures. She had memories, that fade further away each day. She had family, she had days that were magical, but it's as if the Fates are trying to erase all signs of love and joy from the girl's heart. So far, they were doing pretty well.

One thought keeps her going through each day.

Sitting on her bed in Cabin 14, she tucked her knees into her chest and hugged her legs, resting her head on her kneecaps. Crying wasn't an option, so she tried to level her breaths.

She tried telling herself she had family here, at Camp Half-Blood, but she just couldn't see it so. Who would want to be friends with Nicola di Angelo, daughter of Hades?

"Are you okay?" Nicola nearly jumped when she heard the voice. She looked up to see--she swallowed a deep breath--Wilma Solace, standing at the door.

"Sorry." her cheeks turned red. Nicola always enjoyed seeing her cheeks turn red.

She sighed, and let her legs fam down the bed frame.

"No, it's fine, I was just thinking. What are you doing here?" she asks with almost zero emotion.

"I wanted to tell you some exciting news. Leo monster-proved phones! C'mon, letting me show you." she dug at a Galaxy phone, and sat down next to Nicola, eying the technology she didn't exactly trust.

"Here's musical.ly, this is Insta, oh! Let's take a selfie! I have awesome filters!" Wilma smiled widely.

"Filters?" Nicola asked.

"Yeah! You'll see! I'll put it on the puppy one...and...there we go! Say cheese!" Wilma made kiss-lips as Nicola just stared, looking at the fake puppy ears on their heads and the tongues sticking out. Okay, then... she thought.

"There!" Wilma showed Nicola the photo.

"I can print it out, too! You want a copy?" she offered.

Nicola didn't have any photos, so this one was better than any, so she nodded, "Sure."

After a second-long pause, something startled the daughter of Hades. She felt something soft, something glossy, on her lips, and it took the glance of her eyes to realize it was Wilma's lips. She did the one thing she'd wanted to do for about a year now: she sank into the kiss, as if she'd melted, and grabbed onto the neck of the daughter of Apollo.

At that moment, she admitted the one thing that kept her going through her days, the one thing she thought she'd never admit.

"I think of you every day." she let's the worst escape so naturally. She felt a hand through her hair, and removed one of her hands to take the camera from Wilma's hand. She put the phone on the bed next to them, and let thought about what that selfie they took would mean later. It was hard to think of the future, when she was so focused on the now.

 It was hard to think of the future, when she was so focused on the now

Art by ehlihr on Tumblr