eight: paying for our mistake.

The next morning, I feel groggy. I stayed up last night. I grab some clothes from the hallway and head to the showers, thinking about taking a cold one to wake me up and also for my sore muscles. I think twice about it and decide I’m just going to take a blazing hot shower like usual.

When I walk into the cafeteria, Nicole is standing in the middle, leaning her arm on one of the tables. I rarely see her in this particular part of the building, so she sticks out like a black swan. “Just the girl I wanted to see.” She smiles a genuine smile and walks over to me. Hatred burns in her eyes.  “Hate to break it to you, darling, but you won’t be attending class today.” She grips my bicep and starts dragging me alongside her. I try to yank out, but her grip is just as strong as Jacob’s. What is with these people.

“Stop… where exactly are you taking me?” I struggle against her snake-like hold. I feel nervousness start to creep throughout my body.

“Well, although I couldn’t witness it, I heard there was a little incident last night.”

I don’t like where this is going. “What does that have to do with me?”

“Jakey’s in trouble.”

That doesn’t make sense. What would he get in trouble for? For not noticing the gun was missing sooner? “Again- that has nothing to do with-“

She laughs and I stop talking because I’m sure, once again, there’s something more to this that I don’t know. “But it has everything to do with you, Karma. How else can he be punished?” She laughs a genuine laugh. I just shut my mouth and follow her through the twists and winds of the intricate hallway.

She brings me to a heavy duty steal door. When she pushes it open, it’s a steal room with a drain in the middle. There’s a simple chair over the drain. As I get deeper into the small space, I notice a sort of plastic/glass square that you can see through. Marcus is standing on the other side, standing and watching. Jacob is in the room we are currently in, rubbing his temples and leaning on the wall. “Special delivery.” Nicole chirps and then walks out. It’s just me and him, and it’s a long minute before he actually acknowledges my presence.

“Sit.” He says dully and demandingly. I’m scared out of my mind, but I know there’s absolutely nothing I can do about what’s about to happen, and if I fight it the consequences could be worse. So I sit.

He comes over and produces a pair of handcuffs. I don’t dare ask questions. He cuffs my arms behind my back and then pulls out another pair to cuff my feet together. My heart beats loud enough for probably both of us to hear. When he’s done, he leans his hands on the arms of the chair and leans his forehead against mine, shutting his eyes softly. “Jacob...” I say quietly, hoping that’s enough for him to tell me what exactly is about to happen to me. He just sighs heavily and stands up straight.

“I have to put this bag over your head.” He reaches somewhere behind me and when he’s done there’s a white cloth sack in his hand. He slides it over my head and it covers my entire face. My knees shake with fear.

The chair was not as simple as I thought it was, because next thing I know its leaning backwards. “Jacob what-“

“Just…don’t, Karma.” I hear his voice. There’s sounds of him walking around and then there’s silence. I can feel his presence standing right next to me. Then- there’s water.

Water rushes over the bag, soaking through. The sensation is petrifying.. it feels like I’m drowning. I choke and gag, trying to scream out but my scream is overcome by the water. Finally it stops and I fight for air, struggling against the handcuffs to rip the damp bag from my face. Before I’ve fully caught my breath it’s happening again. I’m drowning, struggling to get loose, dying to breathe. After  about two more times, I cough “Jacob...stop..please..” I struggle to talk against the cloth. I’m pretty sure I’m crying.