(Ch 5) It Started With A Midnight Dip

Start from the beginning

Blaine and I spotted Riana huddled in a group, their heads pressed together. Clearly there was something we were missing out on.

“Hey guys,” I greeted as we approached the table, careful not to meet Scott’s eyes, “What’s going on?”

Riana pulled me into the seat between her and Scott, while Blaine took up his spot beside her, sending Pete – who also seemed to be joining us – a not so subtle glare.Riana’s forceful tug had me bumping into Scott. I hurried mumbled my apology, glancing up at him. His face was a mask, giving absolutely nothing away. He barely acknowledged my apology and turned his attention back to Pete.

Jeez, I knew things were bound to be tense between us, but this cold shoulder wasn’t something I had been expecting.

“Tell them about the plan, Pete.” Riana said excitedly that I was a bit surprised that she wasn’t jumping up and down her seat.

“What plan?” Blaine asked Pete a bit suspiciously.

If Pete detected the annoyed undercurrent in Blaine’s question, he was probably too nice a guy to say anything about it.

Instead he replied. “A couple of the senior students are planning to sneak out after curfew for a Midnight dip in the lake.”

I looked at him stunned. “Seriously?”

“Yeah, I was just asking these guys if they wanted in or not.”

“And did we agree to this?” Blaine asked Riana. It was obvious if Riana was going so was Blaine. Usually it’s because they were inseparable, but tonight I have a feeling it had more to do with Blaine not trusting Pete.

She grinned at him. “Of course we did.”

Blaine chuckled, draping his arm over her shoulders. “We’re in.”

Pete nodded in acknowledgement. “What about you guys?” he looked to me, Tommy and Scott.

“As if you could leave me out.” Tommy replied, cockily. “Girls in bikinis are all I need to hear.”

I shook my head at him. Some things will never change.

“I’m in too.” This was Scott.

Though it was clear all my friends were pretty excited and eager to break the rules, I on the other hand was a bit sceptically about this. There were so many things that could go wrong and taking the risk just didn’t seem worth it.

“I don’t know guys, doesn’t sound like a good idea.”

“Oh, come on Aria.” Riana whined. “Live a little.”

“Little miss play-it-safe, living?” this was directed from Scott.

Figures.

“I’m just being cautious.” I defended.

“And there lies the problem.” Scott retorted. “You play it safe way too much. Forget it guys, Aria’s not going to budge. She doesn’t have it in her to break the rules.”

I knew what he was doing, and damn him, it was working.

I scowled at him, poking my finger on his chest. “You know what, buddy. I’m going tonight and I’m going to have fun.”

He narrowed his eyes at me. “Really?”

“Really.” I held his challenging gaze for a long while.

Oh, he thought he was so smart, trying to trick me into going along. But I was on to him. Granted I had no idea why he’d want me there in the first place since it was quite obvious from his treatment of me that he couldn’t care less if I went or not. I was usually so good at reading people and there motives, but with Scott, there wasn’t even a hint as to his motives. All knew is that they had to be for personal gain. What else would he do it for?