{Twenty-Three: Regrets}

Songs for the Chapter:

Is This Love- Whitesnake

Black or White- Michael Jackson

{M A U R A}

Jon's smile was the brightest thing I'd ever seen.

He'd even brought me a danish when he picked me up for school the following morning. I could hardly remember how deflated we once were as we sang along to the radio on the way to school, mimicking air guitars and laughing too loudly.

We got the weirdest glances walking together down the hallway, but of course everyone had heard of what went down with Vick before, they must've been exceedingly surprised by us.

"I'm telling you, they're twins. Identical twins who were seperated at birth!"

"Just because Steven Tyler and Mick Jagger both have unnaturally large lips doesn't mean they're twins, Jon," I laughed and plopped down in my desk before the first bell rang.

"Come on," Jon said, sitting beside me and giving a comical smile. "Just look at 'em. They look like twins. Half the time I'm thinking Steven Tyler's running the Stones and Mick Jagger's Aerosmith!"

Macy's eyes bug out of her head in an almost animated manner.

"What, you don't think they're twins too?" I giggled.

She shook her head slowly. "What happened here?"

Jon and I looked at each other and shrugged. "We got over ourselves?"

I impulsively glanced to Jax's corner of the room to see if he or Vick looked interested. I was disappointed to see that neither of them was present, even aftter the bell rang. Danny didn't come either, and neither did the twins (they enjoyed academics), which worried me.

Something uneasy rolled around in my stomach.

The slut teacher stared at us from her desks skeptically.

"It's time for the Equilibrium lab," she said carefully, standing and smoothing the wrinkles out of her tight pencil skirt. "Get into your lab partners, and we'll get going."

She watched like a hawk as Jon and I stepped toward the lab tables to get started. She still didn't seem pleassed, even after we began working and writing things down.

I couldn't help myself, I had to stare at Jax's empty lab table. I shouldn't have cared about him.

But that didn't stop me.

{...}

By lunch time, the disappearance of Jax and the rest of his gang was schoolwide news. Whispers and speculations spread about the building, mostly consisting of potential arrests, and the most sensational being he was kidnapped by the only remaining band of hippie-murders.