{Sixteen: Wondering}

Songs for the Chapter:

Heartbreak Hotel- The Jacksons

Wondering Who- The Jacksons

Time Waits For No One- The Jacksons

{M A U R A}

My legs shot up toward the sky, straight as a pole.

I could feel my core starting to burn and ache with exertion but I didn't care. Sweat beads rolled down my body, I could feel the floured surface of the balance beam becoming too wet for comfort. I still didn't care.

The imbalance of emotions inside of me was tearing my composure to shreds. But, as long as I held my upside-down stance on the beam, nothing could reach me.

"Such focus. It can only be admired, since you didn't get it from me. Or your mother."

I opened my eyes and the breath whooshed from my body. The sight of my father, looking so out of place in his pressed suit and tie in the middle of a sweaty gym definitely threw me off my game. I sighed with frustration and flipped back onto my feet, crossing my arms.

"It's an acquired skill," I responded lowly. "What are you doing here, dad? Don't you have a... meeting, or a merger to oversee?"

"Oh come now," he said with his version of a half smile. "Are you not happy to see me?"

I shrugged, leaning against the beam and looking away.

He frowned a little. "Well, your mom told me a little something about how you seem to be acting different lately. She says you seem upset, but you refuse to talk to her about it. Does that ring a bell?"

"Nothing's wrong," I said aggressively.

"I may not be hovering around you much, but I know my little Maura." He stood beside me and wrapped his gold-clad arm around me. "Talk to me."

"This couldn't wait until I got home?"

"Maura," he said sternly.

I sighed for the thousandth time and let my shoulders sag. I leaned against him and closed my eyes, which relieved some of the pain in and of itself.

"It's nothing. And everything. And it's really stressing me out," I whined and buried my face in his chest, breathing in his fatherly smell. It was a mixture of laundry detergent and Drakkar Noir.

"Come on."

I looked at the ground and admitted a hard truth.

"Guy troubles."

"It isn't that Williams boy giving you a hard time is it? If so, I'd be glad to bar him from our home until the end of time."

He gave me another dad smile. I tried one in return, but it turned out to be more like a sad grimace.

{secret things...}On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara