{Twenty-Two: A-ha}

Songs for the chapter:

Rebel Rebel- David Bowie

Detroit Rock City- KISS

Take On Me- A-ha

{J A X}

"Just sit that shit down and leave it there!"

Vick startled a little. She was used to my sharp tongue, but maybe I was going a little overboard that day. Nothing she did was satisfactory to me, and nothing was going to be.

"Alright already," Vick snapped, tossing the homework I wasn't gonna do anyway onto the table. "You're acting like you've got PMS or something."

Danny gave her an equally as critical glance. "Check your attitude," he said. "Medusa is in town. And the 'brethren'."

It seemed like she suddenly understood. She swallowed hard. "Oh... my bad. Crystal is enough to make anyone turn into a fucking monster."

"It's not her," I said quickly, speaking to my emotion before my mind could shut it off. They all waited for me to continue speaking, but I clamped my mouth shut and refused to say it out loud. Because that would make the feeling real.

"Then what is it?"

I angrily shook my head and stared at the list in front of me.

I closed my eyes for a second and saw dark red hair. Caramel brown skin, deep brown eyes, freckles. I heard her faint giggling, the little sigh she made whenever I licked the skin above her collarbone.

"Jax?"

Twin number one looked at me expectantly, fixing his glasses. "You seem... conflicted?"

I waved him off and refocused my attention on the list. I couldn't let my mind wander. Every time I did, I felt regret begin to overwhelm and consume me.

"Danny already paid a visit to The Captain down on fifth and forty-third. The 'hijos de putas' already repledged their loyalty, and the Clan won't be bothering us anymore. The list is taken care of."

Danny flexed his bruised knuckles with a prideful smile. It quickly dropped when Vick started to speak again.

"But who knows? That Williams is a snake."

Twin 2 looked at her contemptuously. "If you talk about how attractive he is one more time-"

"Relax." She growled defensively. She was already growing tired of being the doormat.

I needed to get my mind off of Red. The night had already fallen and it'd been dark for a while, but I didn't care. Anything was better than looking at the bedroom and wishing she were here to lead me to it by the hand.

"Let's split," I demanded, standing quickly and nodding toward the door.

We were met with unwanted visitors on the way out.