{Twelve: Discomfort}

Songs for the Chapter:

Got to Choose- KISS

The Girl is Mine- Michael Jackson

{M A U R A}

If I crossed one leg over the other and centered most of my weight on my right side, the pain wouldn't be as intense.

I sat patiently and uncomfortably at my kitchen table, watching lazy bubbles float to the surface of my champagne. Jax was on my mind and I couldn't stop thinking about the night we'd had before-- one that I'd concealed from Jon completely.

It was considerably better this time, since the pain could be anticipated. I also excused myself from his presence, almost right after he'd finished-- it helped me cope with the reality of what I was doing.

That being said, it still made me feel hollow inside. The feeling only went away when he told me he wanted me again soon.

"Dad? What's taking so long?" I called into the kitchen. No one replied.

I sighed and got up from the dining room table. I walked as quickly as I could (without causing myself any more pain) into the foyer, where both my parents were standing.

"What are we waiting on? We're having veal tonight."

"Yes, I know dear," my father responded somewhat mechanically. He only spoke like this when he knew he was doing something I didn't like. "However, we must wait for the guests to arrive first. Then we'll eat."

"Guests?" I groaned. My mom shot me a sympathetic glance.

"Some of your father's high-end clients are joining us for dinner tonight. Don't worry, it'll be painless, sweetheart. Just be your usual... sweet... welcoming self."

"B-but-"

"No time to argue, here they come."

I stood on tip toes and peered over my father's shoulder and out the window. A long black limo was pulling up the circle drive, the sleek paint winking in the moonlight. It stopped right before the steps and the driver got out, coming around to open the door for his passengers.

Out came a tall slim man with pale, papery skin and colorless eyes. He was followed by a short, dark-skinned woman with kinky hair and a curvy frame.

I choked loudly when I saw the last person to get out of the car.

"Maura? What is with you?" Mom said quickly as our housekeeper came to receive our guests at the front door.

I scurried backward despite the pain, watching with wide eyes as the door opened and the guests came in.

"Mr. Williams, I am glad you could make it," my father said in his professional black guy voice.

"Of course, Vanderbilt. I wouldn't miss a chance to come see this lovely home of yours, not when there's free brandy involved. Am I right?"

The two men shared a laugh.

"You look so well put together Melissa," the dark women smiled. Her teeth were stunningly white. "I'm jealous. Is this a piece from Harry Winston?" She touched Mom's diamond necklace.

"Custom," my mom said primly.

I couldn't take my eyes away from him, standing there in a wrinkle-free suit and tie. His emerald gaze wasn't leaving mine either, and from the look of satisfaction on his face I could tell that he was pretty damn happy with himself.

The dark woman looked over and saw me. "Is that beautiful little thing your daughter?"

"Oh!" My mom exclaimed, having forgotten about me completely. "Where are my manners? Sweetheart, this is Harper and Ledawn Williams, they own a large share in a corporation. Harper, Ledawn... this is my daughter Maura."