{Twenty-four: Queen}

Songs for the Chapter:

Another One Bites The Dust- Queen

The Girl is Mine- Michael Jackson

{M A U R A}

I didn't open my eyes for a long time.

And when I did, I swear I felt someone standing over me. Everything was deadly silent, excluding the waves of the Lake, and somehow I didn't trust that. It filled me with dread.

"Hey there," said a soft voice that I couldn't believe belonged to Jax.

I looked up at him skeptically, and suddenly felt extremely self-consious. I was curled into a ball on a splintery old boardwalk, surrounded by trash and cigarette butts, all alone. No one was in the little space behind the diner anymore.

I wondered if the fight had passed that quickly. Jax's face was so battered from the last fight, I had no clue if he'd partaken in another.

"I'm looking for this girl. Think you can help me out?"

I waited for him to explain himself, but he didn't. So I just looked at him. "Wait, what?"

He sighed, seeing that I wasn't gonna budge and proceeded to take a seat beside me.

"You heard me. I'm looking for a girl."

"Mhmm..."

"But not just any girl," he said carefully, and stopped looking at me. That caught my attention.

"And... what does this girl look like?"

He smiled sheepishly. "Oh, I dunno. She's only the prettiest-- no, most beautiful girl I've ever seen. By far."

I rolled my eyes and glared at the ground. "What's so great about this 'beautiful' girl?"

"You know her, quite well I'd think. She's not very tall, but that's alright. She's got these nice, thick legs... best rack you've ever seen."

"Jax-"

"Dark brown eyes, big as windows. And... she's got freckles all over her cheeks."

I stopped breathing and looked at him, surprised as all hell. I could feel my cheeks growing warmer, my heartbeat was through the roof. He couldn't look at me anymore, probably more embarrassed than I was.

"And her hair. No one really seems to call her by her real name cause of how beautiful it is. They all call her some variation of 'Ginger'. I like to call her... Red."

He looked at me hard. I didn't know what to say.

"Jax... what do you want from me?"

He looked down at his hands. "Good question," he responded quietly.