{Twenty: Solitary}

Songs for the Chapter

Africa- Toto

Time After Time- Cyndi Lauper

Piece of Mind- Boston

{M A U R A}

I didn't truly know what it meant to be stuck between a rock and a hard place until that day.

I looked to one side and saw hatred in its human form. Hatred sat, radiating tension and doing everything it could do to ignore the fact that I was in the room. Hell, I wished I wasn't there either. Hatred's dark eyes remained closed, its unkempt curls fell before its perfect face. Through it all, Hatred was still beautiful to see.

I looked to the other side. I saw regret in its human form. Regret sat, staring at me blatantly with its navy blue eyes, trying to draw my attention. I wished I could give it without feeling empty inside, remembering what used to be. Regret's hair was perfectly feathered, his Jersey street clothes were flawless. Regret remained what it always had been, maybe I was just too blind to see that.

I choked. I'd cried all the tears I could physically cry. I resolved to sit with my head down, waiting and praying for the class period to go by quickly.

I felt Macy's hand on my back. She'd been the only thing holding me together the night before. I wondered what was in it for her- I hadn't been exactly paying her much attention as of late.

"You'll be fine girl," she whispered, rubbing comforting circles. "Just keep your head down and get through it. We'll head right to the Bay after school and get a huge plate of french fries, extra vinegar and milkshakes too."

I remained silent. I stared straight into the chalkboard to avoid looking to either side of me.

The bell announcing the beginning of class rung and Macy slid back into her seat. The chemistry slut/teacher walked into the room with her sweater tied around her waist and a red smile painted onto her lips.

"Alright, today we'll be conducting our Molarity lab! Get into partners and get started, shall we? It's only sodium chloride but I'd appreciate if you wore goggles, thanks!"

There was the shuffling of feet as everyone filed toward the lab tables in the back half of the room. My assigned lab partner was regret, so of course I didn't move. The chem teacher sat at her desk and watched Saved By The Bell from the tiny eleven-inch screen on the wall-- she wouldn't notice.

I managed to ignore regret and hatred long enough to put my head down on my desk. I tried to just go to sleep, but the awful feeling in my stomach prevented any kind of rest. I'd been up half the night.

It was all I could do not to cry.

I heard the bubbling of chemicals over bunsen burners, chatter and talk of things like significant figures, moles. None of it mattered. All that did was the perpetual feeling that I was going to fall apart at any moment.